Forum Questions About Using Juce and General C++

Hi Jules, I just wanted to get your thoughts on how the forum should be used. In my mind it has always been the place to report bugs, request features and share code. I had always thought of asking questions such as “How does the *** class work” or “I want to do this…” as more general programming questions and not really to be asked in the forum for fear of taking up your precious time with often basic questions when it could be better spent on improving the library which benefits us all.

However, over the past few years the strength of the forum and the number of users has grown quite a lot and there now seems to be a number of experienced programmers willing to help out with these questions. I think this can only be a good thing as it helps people get to grips with the library quickly and hopefully ends up with more people using it, contributing to it and buying comercial licences for it.

What I want to know is do you mind these sorts of questions, however noobish they may seem? And do you think the main Juce forum is the place for them? Do you think it would be beneficial to introduce a new board titled something like “Questions About Using Juce” so they don’t dilute the main boards and detract from your time? Personally I read every post in the forum just to improve my own knowledge but I think some of these basic questions could help provide a good starting point reference for new users. Some topics could also be placed in the Wiki as a basic how-to if they evolve far enough.

What do you think? Anyone else?

Not a bad idea… Do people think it’d be a good idea to have a “How do I…?” forum?

An app that compiles and runs is the best documentation.