Ok - so renaming the fonts fixed it.

To rename the fonts I did this (on the mac using homebrew):

• brew install fonttools
  • ttx Font.ttf
  • Edit the ttx XML file to rename every instance of the fonts original name
  • rm Font.ttf
  • ttx Font.ttx
1 Like

This certainly looks like a bug on our side, but Iā€™m not having much luck reproducing it. Iā€™ve tried installing the Rubik font, and then also including it as a binary resource and calling Typeface::createSystemTypefaceFor for each of the embedded font styles. Then, Iā€™ve tried setting a new default LookAndFeel in both the DemoRunner and a custom plugin project, and setting the default typeface to one of the embedded Rubik variants. So far, nothing Iā€™ve tried has produced the garbled-looking text from the screenshots. My suspicion is that JUCE is applying attributes from an embedded font to a different font loaded from the filesystem (or vice versa), but without being able to reproduce the problem itā€™s difficult to work out where that might be happening - or if itā€™s happening at all!

Do you see the same results with all renderers (CoreGraphics, Software, OpenGL), or only with specific renderers? Also, do you see different results in plugins to standalones?

I couldnā€™t trivally replicate it either.

One of my guys suggested that it might occur if you have multiple look and feel classes in a project. We have some UI classes which have their own look and feel - e.g. custom knobs. Possibly it confuses the hell out of some font cache somewhere ā€¦ ?

Thatā€™s interesting. Do you have a program where you can consistently reproduce the issue? If so, could you try disabling additional LnF instances and check whether that fixes the issue?

(In case itā€™s not clear, Iā€™m not suggesting that this is a solution to the problem, but it could be a useful data point to try and narrow down where the problem is coming from.)

1 Like

Iā€™ll add some instances to my test program :slight_smile: Probably easier!

1 Like

Thatā€™d be great. Have you tested with different renderers? Iā€™d be interested to know whether you can reproduce the issue with both the Software renderer and the CoreGraphics renderer.

Whereā€™s the magic switch to swap renderers? :slight_smile:

Although presumably setFont only ever accesses the default look and feel? Because this is the only call to it:

static Typeface::Ptr getTypefaceForFontFromLookAndFeel (const Font& font)
{
    return LookAndFeel::getDefaultLookAndFeel().getTypefaceForFont (font);
}

Yes, I donā€™t see any other uses of that function, so I think the multiple LnF theory is a bit unlikely.

You can set the renderer like this:

if (auto* comp = getTopLevelComponent()) {
  if (auto* peer = comp->getPeer()) {
    const auto engines = peer->getAvailableRenderingEngines();
    peer->setCurrentRenderingEngine (engines.indexOf ("Software Renderer"));
  }
}

Alternatively you could create an OpenGLContext and call attachTo to attach it to your main editor component.

1 Like

Sorry to barge in, but I had similar issues in the past (garbled fonts or missing fonts) and while this could be totally unrelated, here are a couple of instances where the issues happened:

1. In a plugin build I was using Desktop::setDefaultLookAndFeel. I was calling it from the constructor of the AudioProcessorEditor and passing a member pointer. But the desktop class stores the pointer globally, so if I opened 2 instances of the plugin and then closed the second one, the pointer would get lost into oblivion

2. On Windows: Memory-based font not rendering properly on Windows - #7 by masshacker

3. The good olā€™ fun of multithreaded programming: I was accessing the same font from 2 threads at the same time

Iā€™m not sure whether this can help or not, just throwing the info out there.

Ah right, so we are using the OpenGLContext::attachTo setup on the mac. Disabling it results in the fonts rendering correctly. Iā€™ll try my test program again :slight_smile:

1 Like

Aha, thatā€™s very interesting! It sounds like something is broken in JUCEā€™s own rendering code, in that case. Iā€™ll try reproducing the issue with an OpenGL renderer.

1 Like

If you canā€™t repro, check you PMs :slight_smile:

Thanks for all your help in tracking this down. The issue should be resolved by this patch:

1 Like