Getting and working with audio from the soundcard

Hello,

So my goal here is to read audio coming from the soundcard to the headphone jack output to create a audio visualizer from what ever is being played on my desktop. Whether it be Spotify, soundclound, YouTube etc and later on apply audio information this to bigger projects.

I am fairly experienced with Java but ran into troubles when trying to access the soundcard output. When researching other options I stumbled across the juce framework and c++. C++ appears to not be a terribly difficult switch from Java and I’m willing to put in some work learning the basics.

I’m wondering if juce and c++ is a good fit for what I’m trying to do here, and if someone can give me a quick how to on reading in the data from the soundcard output to my program, or point me in the right direction.

Thanks for the help!

JUCE does not currently have built-in support for that use case. (It’s difficult to implement for all the operating systems involved.)

If you can figure out how to do the “capture what you hear” part yourself, you can of course use JUCE for the visualization and other parts. But I guess you were looking into JUCE with the hopes it would already have exactly that implemented…