GUI not responding in PT 7.4 and earlier

Hi all,

I am getting complaints from a few ValhallaRoom customers that the GUI shows up in OSX Pro Tools 7.4 and 7.3, but is unresponsive. Audio comes out, but the users can’t adjust the controls. Have others found this? I’ve compiled with both the PT_80 SDK and PT_73 SDK, with the same results. I’ve only been able to test this on PPC, but I’ve had other users report this on the Intel version Pro Tools 7.4.

Strangely enough, sometimes the ValhallaRoom GUI is responsive when I have opened up ValhallaShimmer in the same PT project. ValhallaShimmer was built with an earlier version of Juce (somewhere around October/November 2010).

One of the customers that was having this issue is a HUGE producer, and it kinda sucked to have to refund his purchase price.

Jules, do you have a PT 7.4 or earlier install that you are testing things on? How do you make sure that Juce changes continue to work with different DAWs?

Sean Costello

I did have PT7, but my old m-box won’t work, so not any more. There are hundreds of possible combinations of OS/host/version, so it’s impossible to test all of them, and I have to rely on common-sense quite a lot, but RTAS has been pretty stable for a while now, and I rarely change it. There are certainly people shipping RTAS plugins that run fine in 7.4.

probably related: we’ve also had bug reports for PT 7.x on OSX 10.4.

[quote]When I select another application ( say Firefox ) and then switch back to Protools, the meter graphics vanish on a screen redraw.
The only way to get back the metering on all 3 plug-ins, is to de-activate and re-activate each plug-in.

Hope this helps.[/quote]

Something is indeed not working as it should (with a JUCE from April 26rth), but I agree it’s an impossible task to keep test systems for these old system available as well.

This change ( http://rawmaterialsoftware.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7103&start=15#p42018 ) fixed quite a few UI Pro Tools on Mac issues for me. Perhaps upgrading your JUCE may resolve this?

Has this been changed in the latest Juce, to reflect the difference between apps and plugins? Also, since I use the amalgamated Juce, any hints on how to ensure that this change gets into the build?

Thanks,

Sean Costello

Yes: Jules’ version of my suggested fix was incorporated into JUCE in the version labelled “Tweak for mac initialisation in plugins.” ( http://juce.git.sourceforge.net/git/gitweb.cgi?p=juce/juce;a=commit;h=7c1bfffe0b3d359948aa410c428e0afef49c15b1 ) back at the end of June, so any versions post then should be ok, if indeed this is the problem you are witnessing…

I have a PPC 10.4 Pro Tools 7 test machine set up, so I’ll haul it out of storage, dust it off, and give the latest JUCE plug-ins a quick test tomorrow.

[quote=“CPB”]Yes: Jules’ version of my suggested fix was incorporated into JUCE in the version labelled “Tweak for mac initialisation in plugins.” ( http://juce.git.sourceforge.net/git/gitweb.cgi?p=juce/juce;a=commit;h=7c1bfffe0b3d359948aa410c428e0afef49c15b1 ) back at the end of June, so any versions post then should be ok, if indeed this is the problem you are witnessing…

I have a PPC 10.4 Pro Tools 7 test machine set up, so I’ll haul it out of storage, dust it off, and give the latest JUCE plug-ins a quick test tomorrow.[/quote]

Well, I added your change to my Juce source code, and it seems to have fixed the PT issue, at least on my G4 Mac Mini! Thanks for your help!

Sean Costello