How to get Projucer/VS to build a VST? (resolved)

I have been using Projucer with Visual Studio 2017 for the past few months building projects. Up to now, I have just been building standalone exes as it was easiest for testing (it would just open the standalone application automatically after building so I could immediately test).

Now I am ready to build some VSTs so I can test them in audio projects. These are for Synthesisers.

I tried selecting VST3 or VST legacy in the Projucer profile and building in Visual Studio, but I get these errors:

Error C1083 Cannot open include file: ‘pluginterfaces/vst2.x/aeffect.h’: No such file or directory DrumSynth_VST c:\juce\modules\juce_audio_plugin_client\vst\juce_vst_wrapper.cpp 95
OR:
Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State
Error C1083 Cannot open include file: ‘pluginterfaces/vst/vsttypes.h’: No such file or directory DrumSynth_VST3 c:\juce\modules\juce_audio_processors\format_types\juce_vst3headers.h 98

And no VST is made.

What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions?

Please refer to that Thread:

TL;DR: for VST3 you don’t need to add anything, keep all SDK paths empty and for VST Legacy, if you don’t have the old SDK and a countersigned license agreement from Steinberg (no longer available), you cannot build and distribute old VSTs

Thanks Daniel. That seems to address why VST legacy wouldn’t work.

But when I try to do just VST3 I’m getting an error as well as listed:

Error C1083 Cannot open include file: ‘pluginterfaces/vst/vsttypes.h’: No such file or directory DrumSynth_VST3 c:\juce\modules\juce_audio_processors\format_types\juce_vst3headers.h 98

I looked in my Projucer settings and this is what it displays under VST3:

However, I have no directory “c:\SDKs”.

Is this perhaps indicative of the problem?

Yes, it uses the path from the global settings (that’s what the grey colour indicates). Open the preferences and get rid of that path.

Hope that helps

Projucer has the option “JUCE_VST3_CAN_REPLACE_VST2” enabled by default for the juce_audio_plugin_client module. That option requires the problematic VST2 header files to be present.

Hi Xenakios,

How do I change that? I don’t see it anywhere in the Projucer. I tried opening my jucer file to view the XML and there’s nothing in it to that effect either.

Sorry @daniel, but I don’t understand. You say “get rid of that path”. But what am I supposed to put there? I don’t have any “SDK” folder anywhere. What is supposed to be there to build a VST3? Do I need to download something extra?

Also thanks @Xenakios, I have never edited things in there before so didn’t realize that’s where it was. Unfortunately though that didn’t fix the problem and it still gives the same error:

Edit: Found the folder:
C:\JUCE\modules\juce_audio_processors\format_types\VST3_SDK

I’ll try that…

Edit2: That worked. Thanks.

Did you manage to find this dialog, where the global defaults are stored?

I assume, there you find the C:\SDKs\VST3_SDK, that I suggested to get rid of. The presence of either this one or of the one in the project will disable the built in, that’s when it fails.

1 Like