How to reduce font size and more clearly?

By default, JUCE’s font size too big… I don’t know how to unity decrease in global set only using one or two statement? LookAndFeel class can not be completed.

and text is not clear, how to solve?

JUCE indeed very powerful, but the fonts are really too vague. Maybe my technique is even worse … … I’m sorry…

[attachment=0]009.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=1]008.jpg[/attachment]

My operating system is Windows XP…

I really should put a sticky post up about my views on this somewhere.

I’ve always hated non-anti-aliased text. In the examples above, the first one looks like some kind of horrific screenshot from a 16-colour VGA Windows 3.1 machine, and the juce one looks a lot better (or at least it would look better if you’d chosen a less nasty font).

I understand that there are people who prefer aliased text - e.g. a bunch of lunatics on this thread:
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2010/11/03/sub-pixel-fonts-in-ie9.aspx
… where they’re spewing hatred at Microsoft for finally implementing some decent font rendering in IE9!

If you can see the pixels being used for the anti-alising, then you are either:
a) Too close to the monitor
b) Using a big, old fashioned, low-res monitor.

Try either getting a new monitor, or moving back a bit. The future of computer interfaces will not have a place for aliased, hinted text. Everything is moving inexorably towards high-resolution, accurately laid-out text. And that can’t come fast enough IMHO!

My God … …
dear Jules, nothing wrong with your eyes, right?
This is normal, very clear and easy to read:

and this is not clear, very vague, obscure and difficult to read:

I’m sorry, JUCE‘s font is too much blurred.

We do not care how advanced the technology, as long as clear and easy to read. Users do not care about what is anti-aliasing, what is the sub-pixels, they just want a clear and easy to read … … even if small fonts, still clear…

Is indeed the case.

Almost all of my machine’s software, fonts are clear and, in addition to JUCE’s - and it just is my own programing- the font is difficult to see, This is really frustrating.

The image above is a screen shot. The distance between the user and the monitor does not matter. My monitor is a 2008 production of the LCD, not the old … …

how to unity decrease in global set only using one or two statement?

—Still no answer, I do not know how to solve … …

Alas, it was too hard to learn JUCE …

imho both Jules and SwingCoder have a point.
I agree with Jules that anti-aliasing and subpixel rendering is the future (if not the present already!)
I agree also with SwingCoder that the way Juce currently performs anti-aliasing could still use some sharpening, at least when comparing it to cleartype-style text on Windows.

As an example I added an A-B comparison of the Consolas 10pt font (a popular VisualStudio editor font). This is on Windows 7 and cleartype is enabled. Personally, apart from any aesthetics, I have to admit the windows rendering is a bit sharper and less straining on the eye. I know it isn’t a completely fair comparison as Windows probably can probably not scale the font size continously. But I’m afraid end-users will not care about technical arguments and expect consistent font rendering across any apps on the platform they happen to be on.

what do you guys think? Would it be sensible for Juce to evolve in that direction?

see also this interesting and hope-inducing older thread

[attachment=0]juce-winfont.png[/attachment]

To resume the multiple old 5 years threads about this, the “sharpness” of a font is not defined by it being anti-aliased or not, it’s mainly defined by it’s gamma curve on the edge.
Aliased text have a strong gamma curve, because, they use plain pixels for rendering, but it doesn’t scale correctly.
Juce’s based font rendering use the standard gamma = 1 curve, and this is probably not the monitor’s gamma, so it does not look as sharp as pixel based.

Please have a look here:
http://www.antigrain.com/research/font_rasterization/index.html
http://www.antigrain.com/research/gamma_correction/index.html

Cheers

The only difference between my font rendering and cleartype/OSX’s renderer is that my stuff doesn’t use the LCD-specific sub-pixel colours.

But I’ve got an almost-complete Direct2D rendering layer that will use DirectWrite, and that’ll be how Juce renders text in win32 in the future, so at least I won’t have to defend my own rendering algorithms any more, I can let Microsoft worry about that!

@X-Ryl669: sorry about my ignorance about gamma & thx for the links. The renderings in the first linked doc look excellent - I would settle for that!

@Jules: didn’t mean to put you on the defensive: I love Juce, but then again, we critique our loved ones the hardest :wink:
I like where you are going with DirectWrite - seems like a good long term solution for Win7 & Vista.
But if adding gamma support to the Juce renderer is feasible (not suggesting it is!) that might still be quite interesting as well, as I’m afraid XP will stay around for a few more years…

Don’t worry about offending me, I love good criticism!

Yeah, the gamma stuff is a good idea, I’d like to play around with that. It does only really make a difference when you’ve got very small fonts, or very thin ones like the example above that we’re all arguing about - in that case a different gamma curve would indeed make it look much darker and bolder, and would probably have avoided this whole discussion!

Thanks for the discussion above.

JUCE too difficult to learn. I decided to give up.

I don’t know how to implement and solve many problems. no tutorial, no examples, and I don‘t understand the deep discussion. I want to rote, but no way and contents. API documentation like the dictionary, no idea how to start. Simple question, one or two statements and examples can explain, but people here are like getting more and more complex, more and more abstract. In fact, one or two statements and examples was enough, but there was no. I’m just a beginner. JUCE not a novice can use, perhaps it is only for professionals.

MFC may be suitable for me, this relatively simple, and very beautiful, clear font and the font size is right, no complicated set, lot of tutorial and examples.

Thanks again, deepest blessing.