Jules may be mentally ill, Text rendering is horribly blurry

Hello,

I have never posted here before but I can’t hold my anger in any longer, I only have one thing to say.

I am so utterly frustrated and furious, just frustrated and downright angry with how HORRIBLE, just pathetically horrendous and unreadable the text rendering coming out of JUCE is.

I try to use some product made in JUCE and it’s so bad that I literally have to throw my money in the trash can and can’t use it because of the text rendering quality of JUCE.

You are just telling yourself something over and over, “the text rendering is good”, despite everyone else telling you otherwise. This means you’re insane, you won’t even consider what we say.
You have built up some kinda defense mechanism in your mind that keeps you from considering reality.

Didn’t you ever notice how lines get quantized to be “half way between one pixel, half way between another” and it turns into some blurry piece of crap and the line disappears? Didn’t you ever notice how downright corrupted all your ratios become when you use even a reasonable or smaller font size? Haven’t you noticed how characters stick together in seemingly totally ridiculous ways – like 2 characters are stuck together and another is wide apart? Didn’t you ever notice how the relationship between the lines and curves used in the individual characters get totally screwed up and distorted until the character resembles some weird alien letter at small sizes? Yet a complex human brain can still figure out how to decipher it, so you think it’s good? WTF is going on here??? This is the worst text rendering I’ve ever seen on a modern computer.

Jules, if you think the quality of your text rendering is acceptable, YOU ARE INSANE.

can’t tell if troll, or odd.

The OP is probably using an asian font, or rendering text at small sizes. I agree that default, unhinted text output doesn’t look good at all, which is why I wrote some code to get hinted font output:

FreeTypeFaces text drawing with hinting!

[attachment=0]hinting_demo.gif[/attachment]

Possibly, but any software that forces me to work at less than font size 10 in your example above is getting deleted on sight for me anyway, so I don’t really care, I guess.

I’m not arguing that FT looks a little better the JUCE (and I certainly appreciate the work you’ve done here), but it’s never been as issue for any of my users, and these aren’t people who tolerate even minor irritants well.

So bored of people with 640x480 screens trolling like this.

Seriously: You’re blaming the font rendering when you should be blaming whatever application you’re using. If an app decides to draw text so small that you see the sort of crap you’re talking about, then that’s bad UI design. To people with decent hi-res monitors, the fonts will be too small to read, and to people with crappy low-res monitors they’ll look blurry. Either way, blaming the renderer is just missing the point.

[quote=“jules”]So bored of people with 640x480 screens trolling like this.

Seriously: You’re blaming the font rendering when you should be blaming whatever application you’re using. If an app decides to draw text so small that you see the sort of crap you’re talking about, then that’s bad UI design. To people with decent hi-res monitors, the fonts will be too small to read, and to people with crappy low-res monitors they’ll look blurry. Either way, blaming the renderer is just missing the point.[/quote]

Come on Jules, when I run IntroJucer on my 1920x1200 display and display the code for source files, using a monospace font designed for source code, it looks horrible. Split stems, etc… In other words, no hinting.

Vinnie - I’m:

a) not interested in discussing this yet again
b) definitely not going to perpetuate a thread with such a stupid title.

I’m going to lock this thread and let it sink. If anyone has anything genuinely new or interesting to say about font rendering, please start a new thread about it.