Introjucer incompatibility

Dear Jules,

My project works on PC and Mac (fortunately!). It is generated flawlessly by Introjucer, but, when I generate both projects (VS2010 and XCode 4.3) in PC environment, it works on PC but not on Mac and conversely. When I generate them on Mac it works in XCode 4.3 and not in VS2010.

I have almost the last git update (you have a frenetic committing frequency these days). If you need the errors report, I’ll send you (but the VS2010 error is in Spanish, hmmm!)

Gabriel

When you say doesn’t work, you mean that the IDE can’t open the corresponding project, or that the resulting application fails to run correctly?

I mean both IDES says that the projects are corrupted and they cannot be opened.

(By the way, you were not having a few beers on Sunset Boulevard in the Juce meeting? :wink:

Any chance you could run a diff against the Windows-generated project file versus the Mac-generated project file (for each target)? This way we can figure out what’s wrong.

LOL not yet! Maybe once a bunch of people show interest.

Good idea! Tomorrow I’ll take a look. BTW, can you recommend me an app to compare files?

Well I just use the Diff tool that’s built into Git. On Windows, you have a choice of using the tools in msysGit, or if you have TortoiseGit installed (my preference) you can use that one.

On Mac you also have FileMerge which is pretty good for seeing diffs. Open it from within Xcode 4 through the ‘Xcode’ menu then ‘Open Developer Tools’.

Thank you Vinn, thank you Dave.

This is an excerpt of the file generated by Introjucer in Win7:

<ClCompile Include="..\..\..\SDKs\julianstorer-JUCE-991388d\modules\juce_audio_basics\buffers\juce_AudioDataConverters.cpp"> <ExcludedFromBuild>true</ExcludedFromBuild> </ClCompile> <ClCompile Include="..\..\..\SDKs\julianstorer-JUCE-991388d\modules\juce_audio_basics\buffers\juce_AudioSampleBuffer.cpp"> <ExcludedFromBuild>true</ExcludedFromBuild> </ClCompile> <ClCompile Include="..\..\..\SDKs\julianstorer-JUCE-991388d\modules\juce_audio_basics\midi\juce_MidiBuffer.cpp"> <ExcludedFromBuild>true</ExcludedFromBuild> </ClCompile>

This is the same excerpt of the file generated by Introjucer by OSX 10.7

<ClCompile Include="..\..\C:\SDKs\julianstorer-JUCE-991388d\modules\juce_audio_basics\buffers\juce_AudioDataConverters.cpp"> <ExcludedFromBuild>true</ExcludedFromBuild> </ClCompile> <ClCompile Include="..\..\C:\SDKs\julianstorer-JUCE-991388d\modules\juce_audio_basics\buffers\juce_AudioSampleBuffer.cpp"> <ExcludedFromBuild>true</ExcludedFromBuild> </ClCompile> <ClCompile Include="..\..\C:\SDKs\julianstorer-JUCE-991388d\modules\juce_audio_basics\midi\juce_MidiBuffer.cpp"> <ExcludedFromBuild>true</ExcludedFromBuild> </ClCompile>

I remember that the .jucer file is exactly the same

Any ideas. I am wrong? (as usual :wink:

[quote=“Leirbag”]This is the same excerpt of the file generated by Introjucer by OSX 10.7

<ClCompile Include="..\..\C:\SDKs\julianstorer-JUCE-991388d\modules\juce_audio_basics\buffers\juce_AudioDataConverters.cpp"> [/quote]

There’s the problem right there, a drive letter and colon in the path ("…\C:"). Good work tracking this down, Jules will be able to fix it very quickly now!

I see it!

By the way, Vinn, can I pick the the third avatar (first row) you released yesterday? It is exactly my face
(LOL!)

No,seriously. You, Jules and other colleagues, have their real photos as avatar.
I’m going to change my dear coherence for my face (for sure I’m going to regret doing)

Gabriel

Ok, this damned thing just took me all morning to figure out… I’ve made some improvements that should stop any dodgy filenames from getting in there, and the project should hopefully now work for you, but it’ll still be unable to save something like that consistently on all platforms.

There’s a fundamental problem when you try saving projects that will be built on a completely different machine, because if the app can’t see that filesystem, it has no way to determine whether an absolute path may actually be relative to the place where you choose to put the project when you build it, so it’ll sometimes have to just stick an absolute path in there when you might have preferred it to use a relative one. That’s why I’d always recommend using a standard folder layout containing all your projects and SDKs, so that relative paths within it will be the same on different OSes.

But thanks for the helpful debug info, chaps!

That’s a really good photo!

Jules,

I undertand you perfectly. What I wish less is giving you overwork if there is an easier way to bypass the problem. If you have already made a modification, it is ok for me. If not, tell us how to circumvent this issue.

Off topic: BTW next summer I’ll go to work to the Olympics at the IBC facility, you owe me a couple of London Pride! (LOL)

[quote=“Leirbag”]Jules,

I undertand you perfectly. What I wish less is giving you overwork if there is an easier way to bypass the problem. If you have already made a modification, it is ok for me. If not, tell us how to circumvent this issue.

Off topic: BTW next summer I’ll go to work to the Olympics at the IBC facility, you owe me a couple of London Pride! (LOL)[/quote]

I think what I’ve done should do the trick (or it should at least avoid any confusion)

(And sure, if you’re in town give me a shout!)