iPhone Help

Hi there,

I am relatively new to the Juce world, and am looking to develop an iPhone application. The problem is that I don’t know where to start. Can someone point me in the right direction in terms of what OS I need (I assume it would be some version of Mac OS, but I have no experience using Apple software), what IDE is necessary (I have opened up XCode and haven’t found suitable build settings for an iPhone target - is it maybe the ‘ppc’ configuration), how to link to or use the juce libraries (I have read a lot about the amalgamated libraries, static iphone libraries etc, but not much idea of how to use them).

I would greatly appreciate any help, so if I am asking stupid questions please bear with me and have patience :).

Wow - you’ve got a lot of learning and frustration ahead of you before you get to that moment where something runs on your phone!

Yes, you need a mac! And you need the latest version of XCode.

And ideally what you need is the new Jucer to auto-generate an iPhone project for you, but I’ve not quite finished writing it yet!

(As an update for jucer fans, today I got to the stage where I used the wizard to create a new jucer project with a dummy window, saved it as windows/osx/iphone/linux projects, launched xcode, then just hit cmd-Y and it popped up in the iphone simulator, all in under a minute, and without writing any code!)

:shock: Holy cow! That’s brilliant. Now just make it compile a Linux version too and fire up the espresso machine and my life will be complete.

Bruce

Wow… that truly is amazing. I have got my hands on an iMac, and will be downloading the latest version of XCode this evening. Do you know when you will be releasing the version Jucer that can do this?

I am so excited to get started on this! You do some really great work with Juce!

I’ll probably release a very simple version that lets you create projects in a couple of weeks, but it won’t have any of the old component editing abilities yet - it’s going to take me a few months to complete all the functionality.

That’s really soon! I’m really looking forward to that release.

ME WANT!!!

[quote=“blackstarzes”]Hi there,

I am relatively new to the Juce world, and am looking to develop an iPhone application. The problem is that I don’t know where to start. Can someone point me in the right direction in terms of what OS I need (I assume it would be some version of Mac OS, but I have no experience using Apple software), what IDE is necessary (I have opened up XCode and haven’t found suitable build settings for an iPhone target - is it maybe the ‘ppc’ configuration), how to link to or use the juce libraries (I have read a lot about the amalgamated libraries, static iphone libraries etc, but not much idea of how to use them).

I would greatly appreciate any help, so if I am asking stupid questions please bear with me and have patience :).[/quote]

You might also have to download iphone sdk.

I have downloaded the iPhone SDK and the Juce example application. It compiles and runs on the simulator which is amazing! So glad that I don’t have to do this in objective C. Jules, you are truly a legend!