JUCE and buildroot?

Hi all

Has anyone tried to build a JUCE application for an embedded system for which the toolchain uses buildroot?

The system I’m looking at has a toolchain that targets an ARM core and uses buildroot to build kernel image, libraries, etc.

From what I understand you can use existing packages for various linux libraries as well as add your own packages, so I guess this way the JUCE dependencies could be taken care of. Just wondering if anyone has explored this route.

Thanks!
B

We do this here at ROLI. I’ll pass this question on to our embedded engineer.

Hi Bert,

We, at ROLI, have been working with JUCE and OpenEmbedded for quite a while now, but we never publicly released our implementation.
I am working on this right now, so hopefully our support for JUCE will soon be upstreamed.

Anyway, if you have the option to choose from buildroot to OpenEmbedded/Yocto, I recommend you doing so. Otherwise, I recommend you write yourself the buildroot support based on on the OpenEmbedded recipes.

But there are few things to keep in mind:

1. Use the latest develop branch of JUCE, since it has support for pkg-config.
  2. Build Projucer naively (as a host tool) and meet its dependencies.
    In this particular case I have used libx11 libxext libxinerama libxinerama libxrandr libxcursor freetype curl
  3. Use this Projucer to generate Makefiles for your application and build it normally.
    Keep in mind that at this point in time that even a JUCE console application will require libx11, since juce_core uses X11 events to handle internal events. This will be fixed in future.

If you want some inspiration, take a look at our initial submission.

cool, thanks!