JUCE example VST3 plugins work badly on macOS?

Using JUCE version 7.0.2, on MacOS 12.6 (21G115), and an M1 14" MBP, I do a fresh build as follows:

cmake . -B cmake-build -DJUCE_BUILD_EXAMPLES=ON -DJUCE_BUILD_EXTRAS=ON -DCMAKE_OSX_ARCHITECTURES=arm64

cmake --build cmake-build -j 8

The JUCE Sampler standalone example works fine, as does the AUv3SynthPlugin as standalone - see video below on the Sampler:

BUT, when loaded into BitWig / Reaper, the sampler ignores MIDI Note off messages (end of video) - and AUv3SynthPlugin creates an extremely loud noise. I start the video off to show that AudioPluginDemo does work, without fault. HELM (intel build, not native arm), also works fine.

See next video:

(WARNING, STARTS OUT LOW, then gets VERY LOUD!!!)

What is going on here? I’ve not changed the code at all, and there is no audio input set up on bitwig.

Standalone settings:

Bitwig settings:

Obviously I’m very surprised by this, I don’t expect JUCE’s examples to work this badly, but I can also not figure out what I might have done wrong above?

I tested the same also in Reaper - no difference. I haven’t tested with a different audio interface, but I don’t expect that should be necessary?