JUCE Free License and GDPR

What are the plans for May 25th and GDPR comes into effect?
My understanding of the rules are simply that data collection must be opt-in (without pre-selecting “I consent” for the user) and you cannot deny service to someone who doesn’t opt-in.
Or did I misunderstand the regulations?
JUCE collecting analytics as part of the free license would be in contradiction if I understood them correctly.

yeah, forcing data collection on the final user, in which he cannot opt out if the manufacturer is not paying ROLI (so outside of his control) sounds a bit smelly. i had this impression since ROLI introduced this garbage in juce.

Want my juce back.

JUCE used to only have the paid license (without tracking) and unpaid GPL license (without tracking). Those two options still exist so what are you missing about how things used to be?

things were different 15 years ago, i’m just a bit nostalgic when only a handful of braves were juceing

The new license scheme was filling a void in JUCE usage. The change in the EU laws makes it illegal.
I suspect ROLI will change the conditions, as EU is their base of operations (until 2019).

You can see exactly what data we gather here:

This isn’t “personal data” as there is no way to identify a particular user.

From the TL;DR I get this:

What constitutes personal data?
Any information related to a natural person or ‘Data Subject’, that can be used to directly or indirectly identify the person. It can be anything from a name, a photo, an email address, bank details, posts on social networking websites, medical information, or a computer IP address.

Taken from here.

@t0m, I guess ROLI would revise this by their legal team.

Maybe someone who understand it more throughly would be able to comment on such cases (taken from the JUCE datagathering above):

const auto deviceIdentifier = String::toHexString (deviceString.hashCode64());

This can be used to indirectly identify user in a way which isn’t compliant with GDPR?

It’s already been reviewed by our legal team.

deviceIdentifier acts as a unique label, but it’s opaque and anonymous - we cannot retrospectively use it to work out who a user is.

OK, good to know it’s all kosher :slight_smile: