JUCE license pricing

Hi guys,

I sent you an enquiry a couple of weeks ago. I need to purchase an indie license, but there's no way to insert my VAT ID on the form to avoid VAT charges. 

Thanks!

Hello jb,

Excuse me on a little slip-up I made during reading the license. I accidently moved my eyes too fast to the another article mistaking the 5. Conveying modified source versions with 6. Conveying Non-Source Forms.

It did raise me another issue I would like some verification on:

6. Conveying Non-Source Forms

Corresponding Source conveyed, and Installation Information provided, in accord with this section must be in a format that is publicly documented (and with an implementation available to the public in source code form), and must require no special password or key for unpacking, reading or copying.

It hasn't said anything about conveying modified versions. Does this mean that as long as it is documented and referenced (and licensed of course) that no additional license is required?

9. Acceptance Not Required for Having Copies.

You are not required to accept this License in order to receive or run a copy of the Program. Ancillary propagation of a covered work occurring solely as a consequence of using peer-to-peer transmission to receive a copy likewise does not require acceptance. However, nothing other than this License grants you permission to propagate or modify any covered work.

Does that mean theoretically that anyone may keep a hold of all my data as long as they don't open, modify or distribute the works any further?
To sketch a situation, does that mean that a service like git is allowed to accept all my files, both closed source and open? Theoretically it is possible to use it as your development station and have others download their closed source products from there and claim they are all developmental builds.

That's what I got from it. I'd like some more information on this, please! Maybe I did read it wrong.

In short:
As long as everything is open source and free and available, what are your rights as a developer (not as a teacher!) for private use OR commercially (deployment of free software)

Hi Luca,

I did respond to your e-mail, perhaps it's in your spam folder? The VAT field will be added soon, and in the meantime we can sort your payment manually. Please get in touch with sales@juce.com

Best regards,

JB

Thank you, JB. No I don't have any anti-spam enabled on my email account, so I don't know why I didn't received you reply earlier. I got in touch with the sales department but.. it's not going good as hoped. I asked for the Indie license and I received an invoice with the amount of the Professional one, even if it's stated as Indie License in the invoice, in USD and the emitting company is Raw Material Software Ltd, while I guess it should be ROLI by now. My last contact was around 10:35am and a reminder a couple of hours later.. but I didn't got any reply at all.

Thanks again.

I read through the license and couldn't find anything that specifies if it's a per product license, and want to clarify that this is not a per product license.

Still no reply...

Thank you all at Juce for this far better system of pricing, it looks far better structured than before, and shows thought and consideration. One question however (rather late to the party, had to take some time away for learning!): is there an option planned for Indie Developers who wish to code on and release only to desktop?

I'm still interested in hearing some clarification on this.

It's not a per-product license.

Thank you. That makes things a lot easier.

I have a question about the crossgrade from indie to pro.
The way I understand is that as soon as I add a payroll (sales, accountant?, janitor?), I have to crossgrade to a pro license?
If I bought an indie license for $999, and want to get a pro license after 12 months, I’d have to pay an additional $499 (for desktop only), so then I’d have paid a total of $1498, as opposed to $999 if I bought a pro license right away, right?
Also, it seems that if I just want to develop for iOS, the pro license seems more expensive, which seems ironic, given that the codebase is more focused on desktop.

Hi Pete,

Yes, you are correct that Indie licenses are for one-person companies, so in the case where your company becomes bigger, you will need to switch licenses.

As you point out, there are some cases where it may be more beneficial to get a Pro license instead of an Indie license, for example if you are planning on growing your team and if you don’t release apps on mobile platforms. An advantage of the Indie license is to cover all platforms (desktop and mobile).

I have a question about the subscription license. You say the minimum is 12 months. What happens after that? If one stopped paying the monthly fee after that period would they be legally bound to withdraw any products using JUCE? Or just don’t get premium support/Projucer anymore? Please clarify.

Hi guys, any response to my question? I will need to get a license quite soon, and have limited funds, this will help me decide which deal is best to go for…

Hi Adamski,

After an initial 12-month period of subscription, you have a choice of either stopping your subscription or continuing it.
If you have a JUCE-based product that is released with closed source, then you will need to continue paying. You will get automatically upgraded as new versions of JUCE are released.
If you stop your subscription after 12 months, you are required to either release the source code of your application, or withdraw its distribution (if the app is closed-source).

Hi jb,

we all pray, that it never happens, but what if one day the juce team stops to develop, maintain and distribute the framework, will it then simply get open-sourced (the parts that aren’t already)?
And can we (when we have bought a license) simply continue using and distributing it?
What about subscription licenses in that case?

Thanks,
Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Our intention is to maintain and improve JUCE, and to make it the best cross-platform framework for the development of audio applications. We are constantly looking for talents to join the team and we don’t intend to stop developing JUCE.

In any case, existing license holders who have paid a one-off license own a license to use JUCE code in perpetuity (up to the version number they use). In the unlikely case where we stop maintaining the framework, subscription licensees will be required to continue paying, and different options may be offered then, but as it’s an unlikely scenario, I can’t tell what these options would be.

I hope this helps.

That’s a perfect fair answer, I just thought it’s worth mentioning, as we all don’t know the future. And I don’t live by the saying “what must not be that cannot be”.
My only concern was, if there is by any desaster no more chance to pay my subscription, I would not have the chance to continue using and selling my products. Just thinking of all scenarios.
I understand that is a hard question, it’s like asking someone for his last will, so I absolutely understand, if you don’t want to give a quick answer. But it is something to think about…

I understand the need to reduce uncertainty, especially as a commitment to JUCE will bind your code to it for a number of years.
FWIW, ROLI has no interest in retiring JUCE. If for any reason, ROLI decided not to maintain JUCE anymore, the code would continue to be available to paying customers, and a likely change would be that we’d open source it completely. That’s one scenario among many others, but I can’t think of a scenario where the interest of developers is not aligned with ours.

I apologize if this has been asked and answered. I did not see it anywhere.

I am definitely a small organization and qualify for the new Indie pricing. My compliments to you guys for recognizing the little guy and catering to them.

My question is simply this : When I develop a program and wish to market it, is it allowed for me to license this to a larger company who would do the marketing. Would they require a license to be able to sell my program commercially? Or is the program still under my license and can be sold without the GPL requirement for providing source code?