[solved, has been re-included] - Reasoning behind AAX only being included in Pro-license?

Hey JUCE-team,

Just saw this, and was rather disappointed as release for my plugin is getting nearer and nearer.

What’s the reasoning behind this?

Thanks,
Tom

UPDATE:

I feel picked on too :slight_smile:

+1

As my project is for surround mixing/panning there is little alternatives to AAX
(I know, other DAWs can do as well, but usually their users don’t. At least that’s the impression I got)

I have released AAX in the past because it was included for 1000$ and we do not have 200k / year. The license was expensive but it wasn’t the most expensive one.
Now i have to take the most expensive license just because i want to support AAX. We maybe only have a small amount of people that use the AAX version, most still use VST and AU. Everyone that writes plugins wants to support AAX. Time has changed since RTAS. Why punish the plugin developers so much?

+1

I think the limit should be only on annual revenue. Most of us are small developers trying to become big;-) and delivering plugins without an AAX version is not an option.

+1
Kind of in the same boat, here. My revenue as I am just starting out is qualifying for the personal (free) license, but since my very first plugin will also target AAX, I need to get the most expensive license? Doesn’t really make sense.

Reading the announcement I was like “Personal license - great! And now there is no additional cost for mobile on the Pro - awesome! Wait… but AAX is only supported by the Pro license and this means I need to pay even more than I am paying, right now… :(”. :slight_smile:

Hey Tom et al,

Thanks for the feedback. We reserve AAX for the Pro license as it’s a stronger commitment from developers, and it’s quite some work for us to maintain it.

Overall, the reasoning behind the new license tiers is that you can start using JUCE for free on all platforms (Mac, Windows, Linux, iOS, Android, AU, VST 2, VST3) until you make $50k annually. Then you start paying us $35 per month, until you make $200k annually, and then you have to get a Pro license at $65 per month. AAX is an exception for the reasons mentioned above.

Hope this helps
JB

Hi JB,
thanks for the clarification.
I completely understand your point, that AAX is not included in the personal free license. The problem is, that from my perspective, it only leaves the choice dropping AAX and not paying anything, or paying much more.
So with this new scenario the path, that you draw, growing from one stage to the next is broken.

Sure, you would assume, that those targeting AAX might have better paying customers, but still they have to start somewhere. So it would be awesome, if you could reinstall the hatch path from little to good pay for Roli depending on the possibilities of the developer.

Cheers,
Daniel

As said in the other thread, that’s not true.

As it was before. This looks like an excuse.

[quote=“jb1, post:7, topic:21896”]Overall, the reasoning behind the new license tiers is that you can start using JUCE for free on all platforms (Mac, Windows, Linux, iOS, Android, AU, VST 2, VST3) until you make $50k annually. Then you start paying us $35 per month, until you make $200k annually, and then you have to get a Pro license at $65 per month. AAX is an exception for the reasons mentioned above.
[/quote]
So, you think that developing AAX is essentially the same as earning $200k, so it requires a Pro license.

From these comments it doesn’t look like you really know what a small/medium developer does.

How I wish that to be true :joy: AAX is a PITA and who deals with Avid knows what I mean.

Hi Daniel,

I understand why that would be frustrating for some users. We’ve voluntarily simplified the model with JUCE 5 because it’s easier to understand, and easier to maintain. We are not offering a way to pick and choose, but we are certainly looking after the indie developers, with the Personal license that is free until you make $50k.

This is what I thought, but I didn’t wish to jump to any conclusions before asking the question.

I really feel that is is the wrong approach, and, that it bypasses the overall structure of the pricing which is based on how much is generated! I would gladly pay 35$ (or 49$ as I had budgeted), even though I might not even reach the 50k$ annually within a foreseeable future, or if ever and so the option goes from paying nothing and not supporting AAX to paying full-price which I feel is unfortunate since I really feel that I match all the other criteria for the indie-developer license!

Hope this makes sense

Thanks,
Tom

Existing JUCE 4 customers on a subscription have the possibility to continue on the current terms, so in your case, you may continue to pay $49.95 and have the same rights to deploy.

New customers will need to choose among the new tiers.

Here’s what I feel is the problem :confused:

Tom

How long will JUCE 5 last, will be updated? When will JUCE 6 come out? I think this is a very important information to decide between a perpetual license or monthly subscription.

Applications built with the Personal license will display a splash screen “Made with JUCE” for a few seconds at launch.

I’m don’t think this is a wise decision, imagine a lot of low quality, crashy, plugins will come to the market using juce, this will be automatically associated with JUCE.

Splash screen for Personal JUCE 5 license?

We’re planning to launch new versions of JUCE every 14 to 18 months.

so, basically, we’ll have to pay 1k/year in order to maintain our license?

Wow! So releasing a free Juce application doesn’t mean I have to pay for a license anymore if I want it to be closed source? If that’s the case this is really great news!

Yes, so basically subscription or perpetual will be around 1k/year (for the “privilege” to develop AAX or if you earn $200k). I’m fine with that, but just say it.

@jb1, you still haven’t replied to my comments about AAX/Avid in both threads. To recap: Avid doesn’t charge you to develop AAX plugins (but you will). So you are either misinformed or you are using a lie to push the Pro license to small devs.