JUCE Visual Resource Editor

It would be great to have a JUCE resource editor/class wizard a la Visual Studio (except better of course without all that MS hoo-ha, just 100% pure JUCE). Does anything like this already exist? This would simplify and speed programming in JUCE and so attract more developers. Maybe not the “right kind” according to some, but what the heck, eh? :slight_smile:

You could design windows/menus/dialogs/custom controls graphically, choosing from a menu of JUCE template objects, and completing a form. It would generate source from templates, and allow rudimentary tests. Would also include the means to manage control variables, message handling, etc sort of like MFC class wizard (yeah ick I know).

I’d write one myself, but haven’t a clue where to begin designing such a thing. I briefly looked at Niall Moody’s VSTGUI builder, but don’t really understand how it works. Maybe somebody could design a basic class hierarchy and some templates like WTL.

Funnily enough, I recently started work on a follow-up to VSTGUI Builder which will be able to work with any widget set, following a request by ost12666 at kvr (link).

This is something I’ve been meaning to do for a long time. It’s going to very similar to the VSTGUI Builder, in that widgets are defined in an xml file, but it’ll have a bunch of extra features, like the ability to select different xml files (so you can create definitions for different widget sets), and a wizard-style interface for adding new widget definitions, so you don’t find yourself scrolling through a massive xml file when you want to add stuff. Significantly, VSTGUI Builder’s method of drawing widgets will be retained, rather than trying to use the widget’s own drawing routines - this will make it a lot simpler for me to code, but it will mean that widgets don’t always look the way they’ll look in the actual application (I am implementing a useful work-around though). Also, there won’t be a way to connect up events etc. or handle the population of dynamic controls (e.g. a combobox, or menu). It’s really just intended to remove all the repetitive work associated with populating a large gui, while remaining platform-agnostic (i.e. it will work with any widget set).

I’m afraid it won’t be written in JUCE but wxWidgets, as I need it to run under linux as well as windows (and OS X, but I’m not sure I’ll be using it on my mac that much), but what I’ve done is separate the core widget-handling code from the windowing and xml stuff, so it should be possible to implement your own JUCE frontend for it if you really want to (although it probably won’t be a trivial task).

I’m afraid it’s still very early days yet - don’t expect it to be ready for at least a couple of months :wink:.

• Niall.

Hi,

I’ve made such an editor (in JUCE and for JUCE). Please follow this link for comment and critics :

The topic

Sincerly,
Cyril

edit: I hate BBCode.