Linux Audio Crackling

Hi,

I am on Ubuntu and found an issue with the audio playback. If you open the DemoRunner and select the AudioPlaybackDemo, and play an audio file it is very crackly. The same file plays fine in other linux apps. Is there a dependency I am missing? Or a step in the setup process I missed? I added all the dependencies on this github page. https://github.com/juce-framework/JUCE/blob/master/docs/Linux%20Dependencies.md

Hi,

What audio subsystem? It works with Jack and pure Alsa, using Alsa-PulseAudio bridge is not recommended.

Oh. Looks like it is Alsa<->Pulseaudio. This was just on opening the Demo Runner on a new ubuntu build. Is there a way of disabling the Alsa-PureAudio bridge, or enabling Jack/Alsa? So you have any recommendations for learning more? Thanks!

It depends on your audio workflow. In few words:
With ALSA the application “talks” with soundcard directly, this means it used exclusively, so no any other app can use soundcard at the same time.
Jack is the sound server (with routing /patching and transport) which takes soundcard exclusively and all Jack-aware app connects to the Jack.
PulseAudio is the sound server too but designed for “everything but sound production” imho.

So, the simple way is to suspend pulseaudio prior your app start:
pasuspender -- ./DemoRunner

Or rework your sound setup, using pulseaudio-jack bridge How use PulseAudio and JACK? | JACK Audio Connection Kit

2 Likes