NativeMessageBox and Logic Pro / Garage Band

Hello everyone!

I’m having some issue with NativeMessageBox and Logic Pro / Garage Band. All other tested DAWs behave as expected with AU.

In my main plugin’s prepareToPlay(), I launch an async message box (juce::NativeMessageBox::showAsync()) to allow the user to provide a license file for the purchased plugin.

In Garage Band / Logic Pro I get the “An Audio Unit plug-in reported a problem which might cause the system to become unstable. Please quit and restart GarageBand.” message when I try to open the plugin’s UI.

I suspect the issue may lay in Logic Pro / Garage Band not launching the UI when the plugin is inserted on a track?

I can’t really manage to debug Logic Pro and Garage Band, I tried different solutions suggested in other posts in the forum but nothing really worked.

Is there some known issue with NativeMessageBox and Garage Band / Logic Pro? I’m on JUCE 7.0.3.

Thanks!

Some more information.

I replaced the showAsync() with a simple showMessageBoxAsync() (to not have anything attached to the message box and simply display it) and the “restart GarageBand error” is not displayed anymore, the plugin’s UI is correctly opened, but the message box is never displayed.

Additional information.

The issue was not with the NativeMessageBox async behaviour, but with Garage Band and Logic Pro’s handling of the prepareToPlay().

I checked what other manufacturers do and decided to call the NativeMessageBox::showAsync(), with associated FileChooser, in the editor constructor (instead of the prepareToPlay()). This way the message box should always have an associated editor.