New licensing options

a prominent $999 price tag - with "per platform" in the small print 5 pages later, just before you enter your credit card number. Subscription at only $49 a month - with "12 months minimum" in the small print. Zero advance warning, apparently even entrapment of some who were ready to buy in just before. A web site that seems to value chic design above useful information.

This really bothered me too. There was nothing upfront in the stylish sans-serif website text saying the the licensing is/has become per-developer, and you aren't informed that iOS and Android licensing are seperate $1000 purchases until you make an account with the intention to buy. It all feels really shady.

Still waiting to hear if there will be any changes or things be made more straightforward in regards to licensing before I commit to purchasing.

From jb's most recent email on the JUCE summit:

We've received enquiries about the new licensing options, especially from indie developers, and we will answer all of them as soon as possible after the Summit. Thank you for all your e-mails. 

Hi guys, 

I am fairly new to JUCE and was reading this thread. The duscussion here reminds me of a similar problem many Indie developers are having with a certain "web-tools" developer company. Their product was first free-opens-source, then they changed the license overnight, upsetting many developers, after that the product was sold (accurired) by another company where they put a larger team of developers to work on it, and (here it comes....) they changed the pricing from +/-300USD to 3K USD per developer per year and added some tools which only a small group of people would consider using it. Many indie developers (including me) left the product. Some comapnies that had no other choice stuck using it.

If ROLI is interesetd, I can elaborate on this further, to "how not to lose the developer community". it  would be very unfortunate to see a similar thing happeneing here. One thing I have learned in my software development years, is that putting any kind of restriction, like dual licensing and pricing on "developer libraries" ultimately fails and hurts the comminuty. ROLI is not a software-developer-tools company, so I guess they have a different view on how "JUCE" should be licensed and developed.

My 2cents....

Are there plans to support more native iOS features in JUCE 4? I feel like it's lacking in too many iphone/ipad specific features to warrant a separate licensing fee. I recently finished an iPad app with JUCE 3, and some things I'd like to see:

1. Drag scrolling viewport (instead of scrollbar)
  2. Ability to detect when virtual keyboard is visible
  3. Inter App Audio
  4. Virtual MIDI
  5. In App Purchase
  6. MidiKeyboardComponent with typical iOS features like key resizing and draggable range.

I feel like these are pretty standard iOS features, particularly for audio-oriented apps.

Thanks, Hanley. It's high on our agenda to improve the iOS support, and it helps to get specific requests. 

I would like to add another request for iOS & Android: it would be great to have some support for the camera and sensors (accelerometer, gyro, compas...).

I have lots of ideas that I can not achieve without having a "made in Juce" access to these functionalities :-D

If I want to release my desktop products commercially and my mobile products open source, I only need to purchase the desktop license, correct?

Yes, that's right!

Bumping this thread, hopefully maybe we'll get a response for us indie devs sometime this week?

No need to bump - we're working on it, aiming to bring you an update in a few days.

It's been almost three weeks, any news on this?

Sorry, yes, we have a plan, just need to get the website updated with all the new content..

Hi Jules, you wrote:

Sorry, yes, we have a plan, just need to get the website updated with all the new content..

When is this approximately going to happen? I am asking, because I am thinking about buying a license. And I am wondering if I should wait for the update of the new licensing plan?

Another question: Are the current prices including VAT? E.g. the $999 for the professional license.

I don't mean this to be aggressive; just an observation:  Though there have been many positive changes to JUCE recently, it seems like delays like this are more common now that Roli has taken over. 

Are you sure that Roli is serious about keeping your good relationship with your customers? (no one wants an answer to this in words - they want it in actions taken)

Also it seems like Roli needs more dedicated (or at least faster) web developers.  A delay in getting new details about pricing to current and potential clients only makes whatever perceptions are had more likely to be negative. 

If people purchased at a price more than the new plan, they may not like that.

If people purchased at a price less than the new plan, they may like that, but people purchasing after the change will not.

Jules - I don't envy your position, but it seems like the only possible solution is better communication and collaboration with your client base.  

I'd imagine that everything except code commits (since Jules still has direct access to the repo) has to go through multiple people now, meaning that it moves at a snail's pace. My guess/speculation is that as a small-ish company ROLI is probably focused a lot more on using JUCE for their own products vs. being interested in new licensees, especially when you consider that the price of a Seaboard + Equator (and probably any of their future products) is way higher than the price of an full-blown professional JUCE license.

As per #3: Is there an upgrade path from "Indie" to "Professional"; and if so how does that work?

Could you just give us the Upgrade prices to the Professional license?

- for someone that has a v3 ?
 - for someone that has a v3 that was including v4.x?
 - what will be the upgrade price from an indie license to a professional one?

Hi Rusty,

There's no path for cross-grades at the moment. 

Thanks for your patience, the final pricing will be made public soon.