Newbie auv3 installation question

Hi all, new to JUCE – i’m trying to build and install a v3 audio unit plugin.

The project is created, opens and builds in xCode successfully.

If I choose auv3 only, Projucer creates 2 targets, the appex and the archive.

• what is the archive, exactly?
    If I also choose standalone, I get an app target. but when i run it, it doesn’t seem to register the audio unit (neither auval or AudioPlugin Host sees it).

Am I missing something?

Nothing? I can’t imagine that there’s not a tutorial or guide regarding this. I did follow the AU/VST tutorial, but it glosses over the installation process; and it seems to be in a bit of flux within OS X. . .

1 Like

So it seems that AUv3 under JUCE simply doesn’t work, no? If I delect v2 in projucer (so that only standalone and v3 are checked), I cannot get auval to detect the audiounit. Would love to hear if someone else has this working, or at least a status update.

The command line auval can not see or validate AUv3 plugins, to the best of my knowledge. The only place you’ll see them is in an AUv3 host (currently only Logic and Garageband that I’m aware of.)

Note that, in order for the AUv3 to be registered with the system, you need to have a standalone app. The AUv3 lives inside the standalone. It does not go in the Components folder; it is not a component, but an appex, and an appex needs an app to ex.

All that having been said, AUv3 on desktop is very much To Be Avoided. “In flux” doesn’t begin to cover the situation.

Having said all that, if you want to test it, make a new project, and check only the Standalone and AUv3 boxes. Don’t change anything else. Build, then open Logic. You’ll see your plugin in the Logic validator, and you’ll see that it gets a new checkbox (I forget what it’s called, but it’s something like “use AUv3 memory management” or some shit like that.) You will note, if you poke around during this experiment, that the myplugin.appex (the actual AUv3) is inside the standalone’s resource bundle. This is where it lives.

1 Like