Newbie first GUI won't build with VS Comm 2017

JUCE newbie here. I can’t get my first coached app built in MS Vis Studio Community 2017. I get this error message very early in the build process:

1>------ Build started: Project: First_App, Configuration: Debug x64 ------
1>C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\Common7\IDE\VC\VCTargets\Microsoft.CppCommon.targets(358,5): error : Element has an invalid value of “stdcpp17”.
1>Done building project “First_App.vcxproj” – FAILED.

Can anyone please help me fix this problem?

I installed JUCE 7.0.5 to be used with my long installed MS Vis Studio Community 2017. I followed the “Getting Started” instructions to create a GUI application using the defaults (made sure I selected MS Vis Studio 2017). Then I went to Vis Studio to build the project (as instructed in Getting Started) and I hit this brick wall. It seems I might have a version compatibility problem but I don’t know how to solve it.

Thanks, John.

a) is there a reason you are using an older version of Visual Studio? 6 years old, and 2 new versions since then
b) I’m not sure vs2017 supports c++17. if nothing else, it looks like the option to select it may have changed. in vs2017 it looks like you use std:c++17, where newer versions of VS use stdcpp17

Thanks for answering.

a) I’m using VS2017 because I have it installed and have been using it for years. Juce claims to be compatible so I decided not to upgrade. Visual Studio is a massive download and installation process including a huge footprint. It’s to be avoided if it’s not necessary.
b) Semantically, std:c++17 appears to be the same as stdcpp17. Textually, yes, they are different. Is there a way to change that in VS2017? Please advise.

If somebody could say something like “Doesn’t really work with VS2017, despite Projucer offering VS2017 as the toolchain selection” then I’d upgrade. Googling for this problem yields literally absolutely nothing. I can’t believe I’m the only person who’s had this problem.

Newbie OP here. Thanks to CPRs’ mention of std:c++17, I found a compiler option that permits reselection of the “C++ Language Standard” in which I found the “stdcpp17” directive. That appears to have been defined when Projucer generated the project files. I changed it to one of two available selections. I chose “std:c++latest”. The only other choice is “std:c++14”. I’ll take that as evidence that my VS2017 doesn’t support std:c++17. It could be “latest” is synonymous with “14” in my case.

Glad it was just the tool chain. Are you resource constrained in 2023? low bandwidth internet (massive download) or disk space (footprint)? Obviously this could be true, as I can’t assume to know your situation, but a good development environment will make all the difference in the world, and downloading and installing should not be the deciding factor (unless it has to be;)

This should wrap it up: I went ahead and started to install VS2022 and the installer gave me the option of updating VS2017. I updated VS2017 instead if installing VS2022. Now I can build. Thanks for the help.