Newbie here no programming experiences but visual learner

Hello I’m very new to programming and JUCE
My DAW of choice is Logic Pro X
Running on Mac OS Catalina

About me
In my early 50’s no previous experience and programming my math is not good
I do play some guitar and keyboard
I starter into learning sound design ,audio,samplers, physical modeling synthesis etc…

And now very important to me I very visual learner by seeing things happen in realtime or close to it

As a example : In Logic I turn a parameters and see what’s happen on screen

Questions

1.Where do I start in my programming to learn the correct way to then be able to applied to JUCE 6
2. What kind of Applications can I use or create for Logic Pro X?

3.What is the most simplest audio program I can start I can learn so that I can build from there I believe in get a sold structure but if all possible very visual based
if not I make due

Thank You and ‘God Bless and Stay Safe Everyone

You could start by using Max/MSP or Pure Data and then make externals/plugins for it/them (learning C/C++) and then make plugins/applications with JUCE. At least it is the way i did. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

According to Veritasium there is no such thing as a ‘visual learner’: The Biggest Myth In Education - YouTube :slight_smile:
However… I personally like to learn by example following some steps by step process - for JUCE6 I would say the first step is to dig into C++ in general, and I found ‘The Cherno’ youtube channel is one of the best at walking through all the concepts: Welcome to C++ - YouTube

The simplest audio program/plugin for Logic you can make is probably just a level control - a single slider that controls input audio, and attenuates it… so also check out youtube videos on ‘The audio programmer’ youtube channels for an example of that using JUCE.
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=the+audio+programmer

This forum is probably not the place to ask basic C++ questions though… and for more general ‘what can I make’ type discussions, I’d highly recommend to sign up to the ‘Audio Programmer’ discord channels.

4 Likes

+1 for Max/MSP or Pure Data. When learning, being able to see the results of your coding in realtime is invaluable. Do check them out.

Within Pure Data you can even use Ofelia, so you can learn “text coding” (using the Lua scripting language), in addition to the “visual coding” of Pure Data.

Eventually, if you want to release a commercial audio application or plugin, C++ and JUCE are probably the best bet.

One Lone Coder is another very nice (and fun) youtube channel and here is an interesting introductory video (note: what he says about not listening to people in the internet definitely does not apply to this forum, which is one of the most helpful you will find).

2 Likes

Thank You Sir
I understand what You have said
Now about “The Cherno” he seems very easy to listen to and as he has said he will be using video games as a example but this can then be able applied and carry over to music,JUCE etc…

I will listen to him for a week and then start to listen to “Audio Programmer”

You said they have a Discord Channel as well do You happen know that link?

Thank You Sir
Seems like You created a very nice learning path if I have questions may I pm You?

Thanks Sir,
I will definitely listen this looks like great foundation

1 Like

Without wanting to sound like a **** , it’s really good to know how to use a search engine to find stuff like this… especially when trying to find info on coding questions - e.g. search for stackoverflow and see what that’s all about. :slight_smile: Having said this ‘The audio programmer’ has a discord sign up here: https://theaudioprogrammer.com/discord/
Discord was originally for setting up gaming related chat servers I think, but these days all sorts of developer and other interest communities use it.

3 Likes

You can… but it depends of the questions! :wink:

+1

1 Like

I want to recommend blue cat audio plug n script. it is a vst framework, just like JUCE, but you can make changes to your dsp code in it without having to recompile, like you would with a JUCE project. it uses a language similiar to c++, so you do learn things that you can use in a JUCE project as well. pns does all the basic UI stuff, like putting knobs as parameters on the screen, automatically, so you can focus on your dsp code. It’s way less powerful than JUCE in general, but in terms of testing dsp ideas, it’s better imo. it’s not a free plugin, but even the free demo version is good enough as a start.

also +1 for the audio programmer discord! best community ever

1 Like

Thanks for the info Wavesequncer :grinning: