No Text...?

Every time I attempt to run a program built with Juce, either from the git repo, or from the stable source, I get no text.

Any ideas? I have no idea why I’d be the only one with this problem. Running 10.10, 32 bit, standard repositories.

FlyingIsFun1217

Never heard of that before… Maybe you could do a bit of digging around in the font code and see where it’s failing?

If you go to the fonts page of the demo, do any other fonts show up in the list?

I’m sort of wondering if it’s something to do with my freetype library version, maybe an incompatibility of some sort?

How do I even get to the fonts page? It’s been quite a while since I’ve done anything with Juce, and I can’t remember how to navigate to it without any text ><

FlyingIsFun1217

I remenber I already had this problem with other softwares.
The culprit was eraser.
After a reboot everything was fine.

[quote]I’m sort of wondering if it’s something to do with my freetype library version, maybe an incompatibility of some sort?

How do I even get to the fonts page? It’s been quite a while since I’ve done anything with Juce, and I can’t remember how to navigate to it without any text ><[/quote]

Could be. I think the fonts page is the second item on the main menu.

Now I’m really confused. If it’s rendering just fine (the fonts area), I’m not sure it would be any sort of library incompatibility. I’ve never dug enough through the Juce sources to know for sure how font rendering would be done though.

I remember back not too long ago (~1 year) it was working just fine. But then again, that was with an older linux distro (and therefore older libraries).

FlyingIsFun1217

Perhaps the default fonts just aren’t installed on your machine? If you look at the bottom of juce_linux_Fonts.cpp, there’s a list of the ones it tries to look for. It tries quite a few alternatives, but maybe you’re missing them all?

I’m guessing that was the case, although I do have Nimbus Roman No9 L, which I guess doesn’t quite qualify for being Nimbus Roman.

I’m leaving for a fishing trip now, but I’ll report back later with the results of installing those fonts.

FlyingIsFun1217

And we have a winner! Guess it’s a heads up if anyone else has the same problem later.

FlyingIsFun1217

Which distro are you using? I guess that if there are distros without any of the normal fonts, I should probably add some more alternatives for it to try. What font does your system actually use for its main font?

I believe at the time, I was using Arch linux.

FlyingIsFun1217