Ok where does one start?

Is the current tide of opinion to go with MS Visual C++ Express or Dev-C++?

well msvc is vastly better in just about every way if you can stand the fact that it’s by Microsoft…

1 Like

I’m satisfied with that. Downloading and installing… :smiley:

I’m using codeblocks with MS VC 2003 toolkit. (I’ve had no problems 'cept when Jules left links to ODBC in the plug in demo project file. :lol: grumble grumble)

But the only advantages to VC Express is probably that it’s a bit lighter and you don’t have to have .Net installled.

When I try to do the build everything hums along for a while then I get a string of errors here is the first…

c:\mycode\juce\build\win32\platform_specific_code\win32_headers.h(50) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: ‘windows.h’: No such file or directory
juce_win32_AudioCDReader.cpp

By the way where do I set the include and lib paths? In a file? in msvc?

Thanks

Here is the entire error list if it helps…

c:\mycode\juce\build\win32\platform_specific_code\win32_headers.h(50) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: ‘windows.h’: No such file or directory
juce_win32_AudioCDReader.cpp
juce_win32_DirectSound.cpp
juce_win32_DynamicLibraryLoader.cpp
juce_win32_FileChooser.cpp
juce_win32_Files.cpp
juce_win32_Fonts.cpp
juce_win32_Messaging.cpp
juce_win32_Midi.cpp
juce_win32_Misc.cpp
juce_win32_Network.cpp
Generating Code…
Compiling…
juce_win32_PlatformUtils.cpp
juce_win32_SystemStats.cpp
juce_win32_Threads.cpp
juce_win32_Windowing.cpp

Yeah, VC Express does not include any windows platform files so you’ll need to get a hold of a windows platform SDK.
Search the forum. The latest one should work now, I think, or there is the prior version that is available as an archive somewhere.

Either way ,you only have to install the core header files. (Though I usually install the text based debugger because it makes me feel like I know what I’m doing.)

Then you add the path to the lib and include directories to you compiler and linker settings. I am pretty sure there is a web page about it somewhere, but the exact location eludes me at the moment. Maybe the download page?

inside the juce tree there’s a docs directory with a page in it about this stuff…

get the platform sdk here

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=A55B6B43-E24F-4EA3-A93E-40C0EC4F68E5&displaylang=en

linked from here

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/visualc/