New User - Build Errors

Hi,

I’m a new user and need some help with the very first steps. I have Juce 1.53 and VC++ 2010 express installed. I opened different JUCE projects (Introjucer, Demo etc.) and I’m getting similar errors when trying to build (see below). I’m sure it is due to something I’m missing.

Any help will be appreciated.

1>------ Build started: Project: Juce Demo, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
1> ApplicationStartup.cpp
1>c:\documents and settings\uer\my documents\install\c++\juce_1_53\juce\juce_amalgamated.h(819): fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: ‘cstdlib’: No such file or directory
1> MainDemoWindow.cpp
1>c:\documents and settings\uer\my documents\install\c++\juce_1_53\juce\juce_amalgamated.h(819): fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: ‘cstdlib’: No such file or directory
1> AudioDemoLatencyPage.cpp
1> AudioDemoPlaybackPage.cpp
1> AudioDemoRecordPage.cpp
1> AudioDemoSetupPage.cpp
1> AudioDemoSynthPage.cpp
1> AudioDemoTabComponent.cpp
1> CameraDemo.cpp
1> CodeEditorDemo.cpp
1> DirectShowDemo.cpp
1> DragAndDropDemo.cpp
1> FontsAndTextDemo.cpp
1> InterprocessCommsDemo.cpp
1> OpenGLDemo.cpp
1>c:\program files\microsoft sdks\windows\v7.0a\include\windows.h(151): fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: ‘excpt.h’: No such file or directory
1> QuickTimeDemo.cpp
1> RenderingTestComponent.cpp
1> TableDemo.cpp
1> ThreadingDemo.cpp
1> TreeViewDemo.cpp
1> Generating Code…
1> Compiling…
1> WebBrowserDemo.cpp
1> WidgetsDemo.cpp
1> JuceLibraryCode1.cpp
1>c:\program files\microsoft sdks\windows\v7.0a\include\windows.h(151): fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: ‘excpt.h’: No such file or directory
1> JuceLibraryCode2.cpp
1>c:\documents and settings\uer\my documents\install\c++\juce_1_53\juce\src\core\juce_standardheader.h(88): fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: ‘cstdlib’: No such file or directory
1> JuceLibraryCode3.cpp
1>c:\documents and settings\uer\my documents\install\c++\juce_1_53\juce\src\core\juce_standardheader.h(88): fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: ‘cstdlib’: No such file or directory
1> JuceLibraryCode4.cpp
1> Generating Code…
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

Please don’t use 1.53 any more - grab the latest version from GIT and use that! I’ll be releasing a new version soon anyway, so no point in starting with something that’s about to be out-of-date.

Tnx Jules.

Used Introjucer to download the latest ver. so now I have ver 1.54.27 installed. Unfortunately, I’m getting similar errors when building the Demo project.

Any thoughts ?

Tnx !

Like I said, please use GIT. The latest version is 2.0.something.

But regardless of which juce version you have, if your compiler can’t even find cstdlib (!) then I think something must be very broken in your VC include path setup!

well, I’m on VC++ Express which doesn’t seem to include this file.
Anyone using JUCE successfully with the Express edition ?

Yes, I use VC express.

All C++ compilers provide cstdlib, it’s a fundamental part of the standard library. I’ve no idea how you’ve managed to mess things up so that it can’t be found, but that’s not a juce problem!

BTW if you’re new to VC, you’ll probably need to install the Windows SDK too, which doesn’t come with VC express, and which is needed for all the win32 headers. Maybe installing that will sort out your other build issues.

Bingo !
That was it. Thanks a lot Jules !

Yes, I’m new to VC and any assistance to get things going is highly appreciated.
My target is to develop, VST plugins; Anything else I need to install for that ?

Tnx

You need the VST 2.4 SDK

Yes. Got that part.

Tnx !