I got so annoyed by this I decided to look into the Projucer source. I quickly figured settings are working fine (they are still called “Introjucer.settings” though…)
It appears the problem is related to the naming of the “Open Recent” menu entry on mac. Sometimes its “Open Recent…” and sometimes it’s “Open Recent”. For some reason i can’t check the NIB here, but if I change this method to include “…” the open recent menu gets populated again but still shows up as “Open Recent” without the dots. I don’t really want to look into how the juce menu gets converted to the native OS X menu, but it seems that’s where things go wrong… it sometimes can’t find the right submenu to replace with the recent files entries.
MenuBarModel::setMacMainMenu (menuModel, nullptr, "Open Recent...");
versionChecker = new LatestVersionChecker();