Projucer Windows7 compatibility error

Sure! FYI I am running VS 2017 community edition on a 10’’ convertible (Tablet with added keyboard) with an intel atom processor and 2 GB RAM.
I was able to compile the 32bit version of jucer on that little machine without problems.
I’d recommend that you use VS2017 and not an older version. Only the vs2017 installer allows to create a pure C++ dev environment without any of the .NET stuff that will take a lot of HD space (+ it supports most of the latest and hottest C++ stuff).

IMO the visual studio error window is not always very helpful. Once the compiler has stumbled across an error it can produce a ton of follow up error messages that are not very substantive and may also be more confusing than helpful.

Whenever you are puzzeled by the error list try this:

• go to the Output window,
  • click anywhere inside that window
  • now hit CTRL+Home and then CTRL+F.
  • enter “error” in the search mask and hit go.

You will now see the very first error that made the compiler cringe. If you don’t find a way to solve it, let us know what it is.

I try to Build Projucer App once again, and I get this 155 errors at Output window:
(They are similar to each other, here are the first three of them)

1>------ Build started: Project: Projucer_App, Configuration: Release Win32 ------
1> jucer_AppearanceSettings.cpp
1>d:\downloads\soft\visual studio 2013\juce-master\extras\projucer\source…/JuceLibraryCode/JuceHeader.h(17): fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: ‘juce_core/juce_core.h’: No such file or directory
1> jucer_AutoUpdater.cpp
1>d:\downloads\soft\visual studio 2013\juce-master\extras\projucer\source…/JuceLibraryCode/JuceHeader.h(17): fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: ‘juce_core/juce_core.h’: No such file or directory
1> jucer_CommandLine.cpp
1> jucer_DocumentEditorComponent.cpp

Ok I will try VS 2017
maybe problem in that I dont install Git on Windows 7

Make sure to keep the directory structure intact when unpacking the downloaded juce archive.
You also can not move any of the files and folders inside the JUCE directory to another place on your harddisk.
if there is any chance that the JUCE directory structure got corrupted I would advise to delete the entire directory and start again from scratch.

• download the juce archive and unpack it into any folder on your harddisk.
  • then follow the steps that McMartin gave in his posting.

Let us know if that solved the problem with the missing files.
Please note: The problem is clearly not with the 32-bit build and the time that you spend getting the projucer to compile isn’t lost at all. Those problems would most probably appear with any other of your juce based projects.

Great! While vs2017 is not strictly required I surely do recommend to switch better now than later.
You do not really need to use git right from the start because Juce is also available as a zip download. On the other hand vs2017 comes with a pretty decent git support (much better than in vs2013 btw).
If you don’t mind the small extra learning and configuration effort you can clone the juce repository right from within the VS2017 IDE.

2 Likes

Finally, good news! I bought and installed the VS 2017 Enterprise. Then I unpacked the contents of the archive juce-huckleberry-windows.zip in the folder **D: \ JUCE **. I open the solution in the D: \ JUCE \ extras \ Projucer \ Builds \ VisualStudio2017 \ Projucer.sln
Created a new version of the build platform for Win32. And pressed build solution. No errors have arisen, Projucer.exe file is compiled, and I successfully launched. It is true that after the launch of Projucer, windows constantly appear that the script has stopped responding. I think the problem is that I do not have Internet Explorer installed. But that’s another story … The main thing is that during these three days, the problem is solved thanks to your support! Thank you, and I’m starting to master the framework for creating a useful VST!

I suppose that errors occurred earlier because of such things as:

• I downloaded the archive with GITHUB, and not by the link where the free browser on JUCE site is available for download to any user.
  • you had to download the archive from JUCE site, not from GITHUB
  • Previously, I unpacked the archive in a folder with a long path. Now I put the unpacked files in D: \ JUCE
  • I bought the official VS 2017 and installed all updates instead of the pirated VS2013 downloaded from torrents

It is always a good choice to use official sources, especially as we developers round the world live from honest people, that pay for our software as well.

In this case, you don’t have to pay anything nor to go to uncertain sources: the VisualStudio community edition is free, and also legal to be used for commercial projects. Something that can be easily missed.

Enjoy!

1 Like

Glad you got it working, but am amazed to learn that a pirated version of VS2013 even exists, when AFAIK it has always been available for free (!!)

if (always == aeons) then yes…
But 2014 is not so long ago after all :wink:

Quoting wikipedia

The Community edition was announced on 12 November 2014, as a new free version similar in functionality to Visual Studio Professional. Prior to this date, the only free editions of Visual Studio were the feature-limited Express variants. Unlike the Express variants, Visual Studio Community supports multiple languages, and provides support for extensions. Visual Studio Community is oriented towards individual developers and small teams.[54][55]