Questions about ARA

I’m exploring the ARA SDK documentation and have played with the the juce example; it’s pretty interesting stuff!

Now after having read the documentation though I did have a couple questions, I don’t know if anyone knows about this… my use case is that I would love to be able to get the audio POST fx so that I can easily transfer the stems to another program once captured by the plugin.

1. The juce example will only capture audio from the track that the plugin is placed upon - is it possible for an ARA plugin to scan the whole project? It’s still unclear to me after reading through the docs whether this is a limitation of the juce example or the ara specification.
  2. I understand we can read audio files and midi files via AudioSource and getting ContentNote information, but is it possible to get the audio post fx?
  3. Failing the above, is it possible to get the list of vsts/aus/etc. that are applied to all of the tracks?

Any insights appreciated, thanks!

The juce example will only capture audio from the track that the plugin is placed upon - is it possible for an ARA plugin to scan the whole project?

This depends on the ARA implementation of the DAW (and it might differ). There are a few examples in the ARA SDK documentation on how Studio One and Cubase manage that. From a user point of view, Cubase and Studio One manage ARA plugins by region, so to get access to the whole project in the plugin, the user has to add an ARA plugin to each region of the project. Reaper and Logic manage ARA plugins by track, so to get access to the whole project, the user has to add an ARA plugin to each track of the project. I don’t know any DAW that supports an ARA plugin for the whole project directly (that would have disadvantages).

I understand we can read audio files and midi files via AudioSource and getting ContentNote information, but is it possible to get the audio post fx?

I don’t think you can get MIDI files, ARA is only dedicated to audio. An ARA plugin will always be the first “effect” of the effects chain, so you can’t get audio after the end of the effects chain.

Failing the above, is it possible to get the list of vsts/aus/etc. that are applied to all of the tracks?

I’m afraid you can’t do that either. And if you could, you would have to reimplement all the DSP chain.

I hope this help, I tried to be concise but it’s a bit more complicated :wink: I guess you’ll have better answers from the ARA/Celemony team.

Thanks for all of the information! Guess my wings were clipped before I even learned to fly :cry: