Releasing a GPL licensed JUCE app on the iOS App Store?

I’d like to release my JUCE app as GPL but also offer it on the iOS app store. It sounds like the GPL is incompatible with the app store? Would I need to purchase a commercial JUCE licence to do this, even if the source code is available freely (and even the app were free of charge)? Do the JUCE team have an official stance on this?

You don’t have to purchase a commercial JUCE license to release a close-source product. You can use the JUCE Personal license. It has some restrictions (the product must show the ‘Made with JUCE’ splashscreen, and your annual revenue can’t be higher than $50k), but it is compatible with the App Store.

2 Likes

As @mcmartin stated well. I’m also in similar situation I expect to release (takes too long doing this in my free time :slight_smile: ) a product to:

• VST2, VST3, AUv2, iOS, Android, AAX (yet to request approval since it’s my first)

• It’ll be open-sourced and available under MIT on GitHub. (my code at least).

With current JUCE in order to comply with Personal License I need to:

• annual revenue below __ (which is 0$ since this is a freebie open-source)

• Add JUCE splash (I really hope they’ll eventually make it mandatory to show something but at least give us some control on how and when we show it).

So due to different licensing restrictions the plan (to be complaint with above):

No Splash:

• VST3
  • Component (AUv2)
  • Android

Personal License:

• VST2 (this also requires you’ve signed with Steinberg in the past which has been stopped by now)
  • AAX
  • iOS

It requires building with separate flags but you’re then able to comply with license of JUCE. keep in mind to review any additional libraries or assets you use.

2 Likes