showMessageBoxAsync broken on windows8

Hello all,

showMessageBoxAsync seems to be broken on win8:

win7:

win8:

• bram

Works fine for me on Windows 8 :?

[attachment=0]Mystery.png[/attachment]

Ah… I guess we’ll have to try with the dev tip…

• bram

Ah, um, if you wouldn;t mind could you try with version f862392da8daacfdc54595e83d39cfb9349c9efd ?

• bram

Sure!

…I’m getting the same result as I had before - still working fine! Did you change stuff in an AlertWindow’s LookAndFeel that could’ve messed with it?

And just checking; I reverse engineered your AlertWindow gitup, so does this resemble what you have to set the window up?

juce::AlertWindow::showMessageBoxAsync (juce::AlertWindow::InfoIcon, "Using \\n", "Line1\nLine2\nLine3\n", "ok");

Yup:

Would you mind trying my build?

https://dropbox.samplesumo.com/public/NewlineMessageBoxTest.exe

As a final test?

• bram

Done:

[attachment=0]Borked.png[/attachment]

If you’re using VS; try a clean/rebuild, if you haven’t already… Can you share the code for that exe?

I suspect that one is using Direct2D and the other not , no ?

Hmmm, very weird!

The app does nothing: what you see is the only thing it does.
I could do a clean build, but I don’t think that will change anything.
The only thing I can think about is that you are probably running your app built on win8 and the one I’m giving you was built on win7…
Could that be it?!

• bram

Had to mess with the modules path, and upgrade the project to a VS2012 one - but works fine for me!

I don’t see anything related to Direct2D being enabled in there - so that can’t be your issue…

[quote]The only thing I can think about is that you are probably running your app built on win8 and the one I’m giving you was built on win7…
Could that be it?![/quote]

That must be it - I’ve no way to test it right now though… :expressionless:

Ohdear…
So this means that if you statically link to the 2010 runtime, you might get into trouble running your app in win8.
Anyone else already experience this?

• bram

[quote=“bdejong”]Ohdear…
So this means that if you statically link to the 2010 runtime, you might get into trouble running your app in win8.
Anyone else already experience this?

• bram[/quote]

I very much doubt that - Windows is always good at backwards compatibility.

Any other ideas, Jules?

Bram

I fixed something like this recently… Are you sure you built with the latest version?

(In case this information is useful - I tried your project on Win7 64-bit with VS2010 - and it works fine)

But… did you try running the binary built in win 7 on win8? Because that is what we are doing…

Bram

Ah no I haven’t - doh! I’ll try it when I get the chance

Just ran Win7 debug/release builds on Win8 - and I didn’t see the issue… (built with VS2010)
Likewise, created debug/release builds on Win8, ran fine on Win7… (also built with VS2010)

But, what really got me this time was that I built and ran the Introjucer on Windows 8, went to modify your project, and this happened:
[attachment=0]Just built and ran - Win8 VS2010.png[/attachment]

Very peculiar mystery here…

Updating JUCE and rebuilding the Introjucer seems to have made the issue disappear…

Why is the text so fuzzy in your screenshot?

…runs…