The downloaded file was not a valid JUCE file

Hey there!
I am using a new MacBook M1 with macOS Big Sur. I have installed JUCE v.6.0.5, but JUCE says that there is a newer version that I can update.

If I want this to do, I can choose a new folder (I choose “JUCE_New”), then the download starts. But after a while I get a error message mentioned in the title.

Can anyone help me please? Thank you!

It’s generally a better approach to not download the builds directly but to clone the official JUCE repository and build the Projucer contained in it on your own – some short information on how to do that can be found in the projects Readme.

This will ensure that you have the most recent version and that it matches your system. Furthermore using version control like git is good coding practice anyway, so it’s a good idea to use a project like JUCE to get used to it in case you are not already :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you very much for your reply. I understand!

I am a bit familiar with git, so I can figure it out how to clone to project and so on. :slight_smile:

But in the projects Readme, I can only find how to build the DemoRunner.app
Is there somewhere a description how to build the JUCE application?

Thanks mate for your help!

You can find the various OS projects for the Projucer in JUCE\extras\Projucer\Builds

You can open and build the Xcode project inside the Projucer’s build folder, as mentioned, or you can use CMake (I assume this is how you are building the DemoRunner if you’re following the README). To use CMake, you can use the same commands shown in the README, but you’ll need to change the target to “Projucer”:

cd /path/to/JUCE
cmake . -B cmake-build -DJUCE_BUILD_EXAMPLES=ON -DJUCE_BUILD_EXTRAS=ON
cmake --build cmake-build --target Projucer

The Projucer application will be inside the JUCE/extras/Projucer/Projucer_artefacts folder.

1 Like