The future of SOUL IDE

Hello, I open this Topic with the purpose to share/get any infos about the unformally announced and much waited (at least by me) SOUL IDE, the next big thing after the release of SOUL version 1.0.

About 2 years ago I started a htread at KVRAudio about the future of DSP coding (with an explicit mention to SOUL) and Heterogeneous Computing in general. That thread/topic started fine but after 30 minutes there was a general hate and fighting (as always) between members, so I decided to close it.

So, I would like to port that topic/discussion here, starting from where we left : Jules and Cesare stated that a fully-integrated, production-level IDE for SOUL was in their roadmap. I found this info so exciting that I would ask if any of the Authors have more infos about this, now that 1 year has passed from our latest chat…

So… Thank you in advance for any infos :slight_smile:

You might have heard about the unfortunate events for Roli:

AFAIK the SOUL is in their assets, I am curious as well what will happen with it.

1 Like

Thank you for the info, I completely missed that. It seems ROLI/Luminary definitely changed its priorities.

At this point a word from Jules or Cesare would be really welcome - SOUL was a really great concept, I hope it will not be adbandoned by its own creators.

2 Likes

I think one advantage of open-sourcing a language like SOUL, is that it would give developers some protection against the language being impacted by events such as what happened to ROLI.

Hi Jeff, indeed.

The taken open-source approach is a good thing, so Jules and the Team have the possibility to complete the SOUL project otherwise ( @Tracktion, to say one ).

I think this project (SOUL, HEART, JIT compilers, etc.) need the presence of a Company behind it, mainly because at some point it necessarily involves a series of agreements with hardware makers, DAW makers, the Semiconductors Industry, etc.

It simply can’t be leaved as an indie development thing.

3 Likes

As far as I can see the language itself is licensed under ISC, so it is very permissive.
But the JIT and other tools are not open sourced.

See

Lets hope somebody negotiates with the administrators to raise it from the assets. But I am afraid that ship has sailed, since the search for a successor for Roli as sponsor probably didn’t start just now…

Fingers crossed though

From this it doesn’t look like much is going to change. Could even be a relaunch under a different name?

Yes, it could be a possibility, but the “radio silence” from Jules and Cesare (even in this forum, from several months) can’t be undervalued, unfortunately.

I think if Jules (and the Team) wants to carry on with SOUL, he should have no problems in re-using what he deployed “under” ROLI (including the non-open-souce stuff).

He is still the intellectual property owner (aka “the author” among with others) and SOUL is not an Industry Standard at now. So I don’t see ROLI as an “enemy” or its administration as a catastrophe itself (I’m just talking about SOUL destiny, I wish all the best to ROLI :slight_smile: ).

Indeed any word from the SOUL team would be welcome !

Jules did say the following on discord in May in response to a question on the prolonged silence:

No… we’re busy working on behind-the-scenes stuff, and dealing with some business-related issues. Will hopefully be able to update people with a bit more detail about what we’ve been up to before too long.

But I do agree that some kind of communication would be nice at this point.

2 Likes

That Luminary still owns all assets from Roli is a good sign, but neither Jules nor Cesare list Roli as their employer on linkedin, whatever that means.
To me it sounds like SOUL is a dead asset in the vault.
And I wouldn’t be surprised if there were legal barriers to sell that to Jules for a symbolic pound (the creditors have an interest to get a realistic price for it, which might be hard to achieve at that stage). But that would be my favourite outcome.

But I am just blurting out my thoughts, it could all be totally different.

Considering the dramatic nature of the pivot into Luminary with all the talk of refocusing and so on it would be really good to hear from the leading lights about whether it’s affected SOUL’s development and long-term outlook or not. I agree the radio silence is a bit unexpected and concerning for a technology aiming to play a major rule in the future of our industry.

Silence on GitHub also…

Sorry, I’m new of the JUCE Forum :slight_smile:

Is there a way to privately message a user (Jules) ? I can’t find the mail link symbol anywhere…

I have just sent you a PM to explain how to!

1 Like

Thank you Nicolas, eheh - the problem is that I don’t see THAT message button/icon on my profile, probably because I’m registered on this forum since just yesterday and I’m not allowed to send messages yet…

Anyway, I just received a private message (through other channels) from Jules.

Probably they will be able to break the silence in occasion of the ADC21, in just a few weeks.

I take it as a good news :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I am trying to ask gently and wishing you guys the best. I am also on the edge of my seat. Any news or hints from the ADC?

The only new bit of info AFAIK came from an audience question after @cesare’s talk — he’s no longer working on the SOUL project :frowning:

2 Likes

From a “1st-level trustworthy” source :slight_smile: they will make a SOUL announcement (good news) very soon - they had no time to make it during ADC21.

7 Likes