Tracktion Engine now Open Source!

Yes, this is a difficult one. As you’ve discovered, we already have a Project class which is a collection of assets (Edits, audio files, MIDI files, video files etc.) which makes it impossible to call this a Project.

We did think about changing the name to something like Session but that’s fairly equally ambiguous. Arrangement was another candidate but then there’s lots of different types of “arrangements”.

We also have an entire app code base and 15 years worth of users who are used to the “Edit” naming scheme so having this differ in code would be confusing. Project/Edit are notions more commonly found in video editors which is where Jules cut his teeth.

One thing I would say (and I’ll add some documentation to this end soon) is that you should avoid using Project if possible, mainly because it’s not really needed and you can do everything now with an Edit and relative paths (this wasn’t possible until a few weeks ago).
Project (and ProjectManager) is on my list to give a big ValueTree-based overhaul to which may change the API so probably not a good idea to fully rely on that right now.