Trouble compiling JUCE projects in Ubuntu 18.04

projucer

Hello, this my first post here! I’m completely new to JUCE and fairly new to programming, so it’s likely that I’m making some very basic mistakes.

On Ubuntu 18.04, I’m trying to make a GUI app with a single slider, just in order to get off the ground, following the instructions on a youtube video. When I try to run the makefile in the command line, I get the following error:

In file included from /usr/include/webkitgtk-4.0/webkit2/webkit2.h:54:0,
from ../../../../../../../usr/share/juce/modules/juce_gui_extra/juce_gui_extra.cpp:106,
from ../../JuceLibraryCode/include_juce_gui_extra.cpp:9:
/usr/include/webkitgtk-4.0/webkit2/WebKitJavascriptResult.h:28:10: fatal error: jsc/jsc.h: No such file or directory
#include <jsc/jsc.h>

I ran into the same problem when trying to compile Projucer 5.3.2, and I think it’s a problem with this bug on the webkit2gtk dependency. (I was trying to compile because I couldn’t get Projucer 5.3.2 to run out of the box on Ubuntu because of this bug; I managed to solve that by installing libcurl3, but clearly problems remain).

Has anyone else encountered this problem? Is there a way around it?

Go to the modules list in Projucer, select ‘juce_gui_extra’ module and set JUCE_WEB_BROWSER flag as ‘Disabled’, save project and try to compile again.

Thank you for the quick response! I’ve done what you suggested, but now I get a new error message:

/usr/bin/ld: build/intermediate/Debug/include_juce_graphics_f817e147.o: undefined reference to symbol 'png_set_sBIT@@PNG16_0'
//usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libpng16.so.16: error adding symbols: DSO missing from command line
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
Makefile:92: recipe for target 'build/NewProject' failed
make: *** [build/NewProject] Error 1

This one I can’t decode at all. On the plus side though, I’ve learned what a module is!

How did you install all of the dependencies?

This was a bug in webkitgtk-dev in the ubuntu 18.04 package repos. The fix was rolled out 12 hours ago.

To fix this you should only need to run ‘sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade’

Source:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/webkit2gtk/+bug/1795901

Returning to this after several days. The webkit update does it! I can now compile from Projucer. Thanks for your help. I hope I get such a good response the next time I get stuck!