Visual Studio 2022 - Local Windows Debugger not opening my DAW..?

I’ve set up the local Windows Degugger to open the DAW when it debugs.
However it does not attempt to open the DAW, but just runs the VST in its own window.

I think I setup the properties correctly. What am I missing?

I remember trying to open it earlier but it giving me an error message, something about not being able to write to kernel or something, so the debugger wouldn’t actually launch. But that went away. Can’t exactly recall it.

You need to also switch the start up project in Visual Studio. (Right-click on the VST3 project in the solution explorer and choose it as the start up project.)

1 Like

thats done it :100:

@xenakios This worked fine for me for a day, but suddenly when I try and run a debug now, it opens the DAW and the plugin tries to load, then it stops giving me over 100 errors in the juce_path.cpp file. Any idea why it should suddenly stop working and give me errors?

|Error (active)|E0020|identifier String is undefined|myPlugin_SharedCode|C:\JUCE\modules\juce_graphics\geometry\juce_Path.cpp|38||
|Error (active)|E0276|name followed by '::' must be a class or namespace name|myPlugin_SharedCode|C:\JUCE\modules\juce_graphics\geometry\juce_Path.cpp|38||
|Error (active)|E0065|expected a ';'|myPlugin_SharedCode|C:\JUCE\modules\juce_graphics\geometry\juce_Path.cpp|39||
|Error (active)|E0276|name followed by '::' must be a class or namespace name|myPlugin_SharedCode|C:\JUCE\modules\juce_graphics\geometry\juce_Path.cpp|61||
|Error (active)|E0276|name followed by '::' must be a class or namespace name|myPlugin_SharedCode|C:\JUCE\modules\juce_graphics\geometry\juce_Path.cpp|62||
|Error (active)|E0276|name followed by '::' must be a class or namespace name|myPlugin_SharedCode|C:\JUCE\modules\juce_graphics\geometry\juce_Path.cpp|63||
|Error (active)|E0276|name followed by '::' must be a class or namespace name|myPlugin_SharedCode|C:\JUCE\modules\juce_graphics\geometry\juce_Path.cpp|64||
|Error (active)|E0276|name followed by '::' must be a class or namespace name|myPlugin_SharedCode|C:\JUCE\modules\juce_graphics\geometry\juce_Path.cpp|65||
|Error (active)|E0276|name followed by '::' must be a class or namespace name|myPlugin_SharedCode|C:\JUCE\modules\juce_graphics\geometry\juce_Path.cpp|67||

properties remain as they were

Those are compile time errors, so something has happened in the source code or project you are building that makes the compiler unable to build the project. Did you maybe accidentally change the Juce source code somehow? Or did you change something in the build settings?

A non-debug regular builds fine and loads up the plugin in my DAW no problem.
I dont believe I changed any Juce source code, and didn’t change the build settings. The regular build works fine.
Just thinking what I could have done in the past few hours. Only significant thing that comes to mind is that I added a .ttf font to my assets folder and implemented that in the plugin.

I did get this,
So installed new version, and checked global paths, but issue didn’t resolve.

Did you somehow end up having this in the disabled state? :

It should be “enabled” if your code doesn’t have the juce:: prefixes in the appropriate places.

I do have it disabled, but thats because I prefer to add juce:: to all the appropriate places.
I changed it to Enabled, but same errors appeared.
The regular VST builds fine and loads into the DAW, you’d expect the same errors on that build I guess, but there are no errors.
I have the setting above also disabled

Sone detail somewhere is wrong. Quite impossible to say what it is.

I think its got something to do with the path to juce_graphics.
I did look at the Projucer settings and found juce_graphics path to be correct at c:\JUCE\modules.
However, I did see the path to juce_dsp to be recorded as ../../../../../../JUCE/modules Is that latter path normal?

Copy step is enabled in the Debug in Projucer, the right destination, but its not copying there, despite a post build event copying to the right place.

Anyway, I am continuing to hunt it down when I’m not doing other programming ! Just thought I’d add this post in case anyone has any clues.

Error (active)	E0020	identifier "String" is undefined	myPlugin_SharedCode	C:\JUCE\modules\juce_graphics\geometry\juce_Path.cpp	38	
Error (active)	E0276	name followed by '::' must be a class or namespace name	myPlugin_SharedCode	
...etc...