Waveform visualization - and linking libraries to plugins

Just wondering if anyone else was interested in a visualizer component or plugin … I just finished wrapping my personal favorite (ProjectM - derived from Winamp’s Milkdrop). It’s posted and ready to go, I’ve even integrated it into my own DAW software (projectM is LGPL).

Here is a link to that post:
http://www.rawmaterialsoftware.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5858

My two questions are -

1. General interest, just seeing if anyone else had done something similar, or can think of useful things to do with this, or knows of a plugin or DAW/performance software that creates visuals to LIVE audio (as opposed to a recording, that is). If anyone else is interested in getting it running for other platforms or in other projects.

2. Per plugins - I was thinking it would be cool to wrap this as a plugin and get it working inside host software. The problem seems to be that I can’t get it to link the libraries (GLEW.a and ProjectM.a). I add them to the project, but they are totally ignored by the compiler (xcode). I’m guessing this has something to do with the fact that compiling a plugin is somehow different from compiling an executable (perhaps when compiling a library you can’t link libraries to it?? Even statically?). Anyway, not sure … just looking for info.

Definitely interested in that :slight_smile: