Why do you learn audio programming? What's the advantages of learning audio programming?

What do you want to improve when there are already best synthesisers(Sylenth, Serum) and best effects (Fabfilter)?
All I can think about is make an equally efficient but own style gui audio plugin.

You’re right. We should all just quit since those companies already did it the best way possible.

2 Likes

At the optimal price possible that every user is willing to pay… :wink:

1 Like

Maybe it’s not necessarily just improvements but just different ways of approaching problems and UI is a major thing yes but maybe because that’s a primary way to interact with the processing (consider the number of EQ effect plugins that are probably similar in terms of DSP).

In many ways I’m glad Google didn’t decide not to build a search engine because there was already Ask Jeeves and AltaVista :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Wow, although not really much concrete creative ideas about audio programming, but “In many ways I’m glad Google didn’t decide not to build a search engine because there was already Ask Jeeves and AltaVista” is a great motivation. Thanks

2 Likes

FYI: i considered your question so weird that i flagged it as spam from a bot! :wink:

2 Likes

You’re saying several things:

• Why make something that doesn’t provide value, is the best, etc
  • Some specific companies and products are the best
  • There’s nothing left to improve, or if there is, no one here could be the ones to make it

Personally many of us do try to create value with our products, and I feel that we’ve succeeded in that too, even if none of my products crossed the bar to make it into your personal list.

I’d like to ask if you can imagine, at earlier times, before Sylenth existed, or Serum, or Fabfiler , could you have wrote similar words of discouragement towards a forum that included their developers? Is now truly the time in history where all inventions have already been made?

3 Likes

Q) Why do you learn audio programming?
A) To learn to use tools that will allow you to turn your creative ideas in the field of audio into reality.

Q) What’s the advantages of learning audio programming?
A) You’re going to be paying somebody to turn your ideas into reality if you can’t do it yourself (and you’ll miss out on all the fun and most of the rewards that come out of doing it yourself).

All I can think about is make an equally efficient but own style gui audio plugin.

Most of us got into this because we had an idea or two burning inside us that we couldn’t hold back, we learnt the tools of the trade as a means of turning that into reality. Some people move the art forwards. If you don’t have that, perhaps that’s why you’re not really seeing the potential.

1 Like

Vst development is a constant evolution of technology. Consider how NI Massive changed the whole music industry. It was the first synthesizer that i ever saw that had Makros that let you combine a lot of parameters without a complicated modulation matrix that no one really understands. It was the exact reason why genres with complex synths like Dubstep came into existance. That was huge. Then people were asking themselves “Wait, why can’t I make my own wavetables?” and Steve Duda came and made Serum. That was a huge advancement and fueled the imagination of sounddesigners worldwide. Especially the fact that you can exchange presets and wavetables of different aspects of Serum enabled them to make their own products based on Serum, so the plugin even created a new market. Now pretty much recently Kilohearts came around the corner with Phase Plant, which is totally the next big thing with its huge modular approach enabling you to do almost anything you can think of at the moment. But this is not the end of the story. You could be the next big star on the plugin developer sky, if you have a great idea and also know how to combine that with all the existing ideas. Also we’ll see some improvements that are just linked to the other technology around VST, like ara-compatibility in DAWs, MIDI2.0 and the rise of Artificial Intelligence.

Also you can just make small creative plugins that haven’t been invented yet for some reason. I mean just look at Kilohearts Disperser. That’s basically just a fancy Allpass-Filter, but no one ever before had the idea to make one like that. It’s insane that they just kind of have a monopol in that whole filter type. But we can learn from that that there could be even pretty simple ideas that haven’t been discovered yet.

3 Likes

Thanks, best answer
Haven’t noticed big changes in audio plugins for 2 years.
Just wanna know a little about what Phase Plant can do that Serum can’t?

An another great motivation to learn is to make things FLOSS in order to compete with proprietary versions (but of course there are rarely any advantages to do that)!

Innovation is extremely fat tailed. 2 years without a “disruptive” innovation is nothing.

Also, not every product needs to be very different from all other products. Not every innovation needs to be disruptive. Most steps are small and a diverse set of solutions finds a diverse market to get a share of.

i think it’s just the fact that it’s so modular. you can use all snapins in pp and even in multiband ways. serum also has some freedom there like unlimited amounts of lfos that can even modulate parameters of others lfos and stuff. but on the other hand you can’t even have 2 filters in parallel. so there is certainly room for more. i’d have to own a copy of pp to tell you more, but it’s a bit too expensive for me atm.

examples for other improvements in the last 2 years were:

• AI development: sonible released balancer, an eq that automatically comes up with a good eq curve by listening to your signal. it constantly sends back data about its usage to its nn to improve itself.
  • Sounddesign: there’s a certain trend nowdays to render an instrument’s sound to audio once you think it’s cool instead of letting your synthesizer handle it. So Xfer reacted and added a new feature to serum that lets you drag n drop the last played note into your daw. (yes, it’s serum again, but i mean. everyone else could have had this idea too, you know? You just have to be creative. I know, easier said than done, but that’s the job.)

Because audio development is a skill that enables you to take control of making your products (not necessarily synths, effects or DAWs) work with all the audio standards and APIs out there. Something that’s nearly impossible to achieve without a framework like JUCE today.

As a career choice, audio has always been a niche market. It being slow also has advantages: There’s room for many players to peacfully coexist and cooperate. You are not constantly bullied by startups with deep pockets looking to eliminate you, disrupt and strike it rich. If that’s what you are looking for, I’d recommend not to consider anything in the way of engineering at all, which will only get you distracted by details. The big charismatic egos are thriving in that profession :wink:

3 Likes

Found your github

What’s your opinion about Plug’n Script?
Is it some short scripts + C++?
I’ve tried bluecat’s chorus, and it’s good to cpu.

“I’d recommend not to consider anything in the way of engineering at all, which will only get you distracted by details. The big charismatic egos are thriving in that profession”
What do you mean?

Pns uses the language angelscript, but it’s written in c++ and very similiar to it. I took my first dsp steps in pns and still use it when i just want to experiment a bit. You know it’s just not worth it to make a new juce project if you just wanna find out if a certain little dsp module works or sounds good. There’s no need to recompile your plugin all the time if you only changed one number, you just reload the script while letting your daw opened. that’s really cool. also you can make new parameters including the knob and the values and ranges in less than a minute in it. it comes for the price of less flexibility and a high cpu usage though, so it’s not good for making final plugins.

all i can say is: you see a lot of people not being able how to write their own oscillators or delays in juce. and i think that’s because you have to spend too much time fixing bugs and setting everything up for each new project, while in pns you can just focus on the important stuff. that’s why i like to encourage everyone to use pns as a dsp testbench inside of their daws

I mean that coding skills is not something that puts you in the spotlight of venture capital where the big money is being made (in the audio business you’ll find that rarely anyway).

Your original question sounded as if you were looking for career advice, unless I got “advantages of learning audio programming” completely wrong. The question suggests you don’t have much use for it, otherwise you would be jumping right in.

If you asked as an artist, i.e. “would I be able to make better music by programming my own synths”, I’d say no. In that case, you shouldn’t waste your time with tech that only distracts you from making music.

3 Likes