XCode builds terribly slow on iBook G4

I got an iBook G4 (800MHz, OS X Tiger, 512MB) since a few days. Now i used XCode 2.4.1 to build JUCE and it took nearly 1 hour to build JUCE on the Mac whereas on my PC Laptop it takes 5 minutes.
Is XCode really that slow?

I also noticed that XCode always compiles all .CPP files even if they were not modified, whereas Visual Studio does only compile edited files. Is there any way of making XCode only compile edited files?

Yep, it’s really that slow. Even on my intel dual-core, it’s painfully slow… Adding more memory helps though.

But it doesn’t do a bad job of getting the dependencies right. You’ve probably changed some header files or got a file with a messed-up timestamp or something.

Well, for example XCode compiles all .CPP files again for the Juce Demo XCode project every time I press Build, even if I do not change a line.

BTW Juce Demo did not quit when I pressed the red X this time, … strange … Had to choose Quit from the Menu and then it crashed.

Well, for example XCode compiles all .CPP files again for the Juce Demo XCode project every time I press Build, even if I do not change a line.

BTW Juce Demo did not quit when I pressed the red X this time, … strange … Had to choose Quit from the Menu and then it crashed.

[quote=“zamrate”]
BTW Juce Demo did not quit when I pressed the red X this time, … strange … Had to choose Quit from the Menu and then it crashed.[/quote]

Quits just fine for me. Where did it crash?

juce::DummyCriticalSection::enter after i choose Quit in the File Menu.
Is it normal that one cannot use the red X on the upper left to exit the Juce Demo?

No, sounds like your build is completely toasted. Try a complete rebuild.

Just used CLEAN and rebuild everything (although, as previously written, XCode always rebuilds everything on my iBook :x ). It makes no difference, still the same, but:

• When I use the “default” Juce Look-And-Feel, the red X does not react, so I have to choose Demo->Quit which produces the crash.
  • When I use “old, original juce look-and-feel”, then it reacts to the red X and crashes like if I would have chosen Demo->Quit
  • When I use “native window title bar”, it does not crash, neither when i press the red X, nor when I choose Demo->Quit

Strange, isn’t it ? I did not change one line of source code.

Does the precompiled demo from the website work ok?

Yes, no problem with that one.

Then it’s your build that’s screwed. Sorry, can’t think of any suggestions. Sounds like it’s linking to the wrong lib.

Now i compiled in Release Configuration (before I used Debug only) - et voilà - it works. Plus XCode does note recompile all files in Release Config.

Uups, not true. Build / Build & Go STILL rebuilds all files.
For example I had to recompile Juce, but had only replaced 2 files: FileTreeComponent.cpp and FileTreeComponent.h and XCode build again all 353 files. MAKES ME CRAZY!!

If anybody knows how to solve this issue, please let me know. I start going nuts already… :x