Audio Units - how to find them?!

Hi folks,

Any ideas why, despite having built the Audio unit variant of the JuceDemoAU project, I can’t see the Juce instrument listed under either Garage Band or AU Lab?

:slight_smile:

TIA,

Pete

Has OSX correctly turned the folder into a bundle? Sometimes I’ve seen it mess up and not seem to realise that the folder is actually a bundle. Never worked out why, but deleting it and rebuilding usually seemed to work.

This is most likely due to a problem with the project settings - the JuceDemoAU project copies the resulting file into Jules’ component directory - this is hard coded as a absolute path in the copy files phase for the JuceAU target (it refers to /Users/jules/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components which might not exist on your machine). I’m not sure why he wouldn’t want to use a relative path to the current account’s /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components directory here, but maybe he had his reasons.

You need to fix the path so it copies the AU into your component directory, then it should show up as instrument/fx.

HTH,
–smb

did I hard-code it to my home dir? Didn’t mean to do that! I’d better change it!

Thanks guys - I can’t believe I missed that! :slight_smile: Pete

That is in the project.pbxproj file, for future-reference…:

/* Begin PBXCopyFilesBuildPhase section */
		84CFB0240909684B0053C22C /* CopyFiles */ = {
			isa = PBXCopyFilesBuildPhase;
			buildActionMask = 2147483647;
			dstPath = "/Users/jules/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components";
			dstSubfolderSpec = 0;
			files = (
				84CFB029090968590053C22C /* DemoJuceAudioUnit.component in CopyFiles */,
			);
			runOnlyForDeploymentPostprocessing = 0;
		};

HTH! Pete

I wouldn’t dare touching anything in the pbxproj file. It’s probably better to just change the settings in Xcode. It’s in the Groups&Files list -> Targets > JuceAU > Copy Files > General

–smb

A good point. :slight_smile:

Do you have you any idea how to see the plugin from either AU Lab or Garage Band, I can’t figure-out how to do this??!

Thanks in advance,

Pete

I don’t have GarageBand installed but here’s how you see it in AU Lab.

(1) Launch AU Lab.
(2) Answer OK to the “Create New Document” dialog that pops up
(3) Use the pop-up menu in the middle of the window (below where it says “Effects”) to choose Raw Material Software > Juce Demo PlugIn

In order to play back a file you need to choose Edit > Add Audio Unit Generator and choose “AUAudioFilePlayer” as the type of generator. Add an audio file and hit play.

That should do it.

HTH,
–smb

Right, I have found out how to do this.

In AU Lab, clicking in the “Master Out” panel on Effects then Raw Material Software then Juce Demo Plugin.

In Garage band, you first need to show details in the track (an arrow below the instrument icon at the bottom of the track info panel). That expands; you can click on one of the “effects” comb boxes showing “None” to select the Juce Demo Plugin (this is at the bottom of list that pops-up). Click the “pencil” button to invoke the Juce editor. How well hidden is that?!? :slight_smile:

Pete

[quote=“peteatjuce”]Right, I have found out how to do this.

In AU Lab, clicking in the “Master Out” panel on Effects then Raw Material Software then Juce Demo Plugin.[/quote]

Not sure… but isn’t that what I said?

–smb

Yes it is, I posted a reply to myself before I had seen your message. Many thanks for your help. :slight_smile: Pete

The Reload button is your friend :wink:

–smb