Books and literature to properly learn C++

Hello Community. Hope you’re all doing OK.

I’m starting to develop some applications using JUCE. Most tutorials have been extremely helpful. I have programming background since I’m a sound engineer and developped apps specially in Unity (C#). However, I’d like to learn proper C++, since I haven’t got any experience in thins like pointers, references, lock and lock-free architectures, etc. My goal is to be able to create complex application using these low-level concepts. I know it could take many years and a lot of hard work, but I know that having the right tools and information to learn will take me there. What books, courses or websites do you recommend for becoming a C++ expert and being able to deal with all those low-level concepts in order to create fast JUCE apps?

1 Like

The Cherno on YouTube. Just watch through his entire c++ series at your own pace. He has a way of simplifying the core concepts really well.

3 Likes

After you’re done with the basics, you’ll need to start thinking in terms of threads if you’ll be dealing with audio programming.

2 Likes
2 Likes

In terms of books this list should give you a great overview of what is available and generally well received. Another great resource is the back to basics videos which you can find on the CppCon YouTube Channel.

3 Likes

Agree with @anthony-nicholls, even today, I still find the back-to-basics on YouTube are a good reminder of the simple, yet foundational aspects of C++

3 Likes

Inspired by this I decided to open source a GitHub repo with a bunch of links and resources I’ve found helpful over the years.

10 Likes