Build succeeded on M1, but no VST3 in build folder or Library

Hello everyone,

This is my first post and first time using JUCE and Xcode, so apologies if this is something simple.

Basically I’m just walking through this simple example: JUCE: Tutorial: Create a basic Audio/MIDI plugin, Part 1: Setting up

When I build in Xcode, it says “Build successful”, however I don’t see any VST3s in the build folder. I only have a Debug folder in my “build” folder, no “Release” folder, not sure if there is supposed to be one. In the “Debug” folder, there is only “libNoteshaper_chords.a” and “Noteshaper_chords.component”.

There’s also no VST3 folder in my Library:

I do have VST3 checked in Projucer under plugin formats.

Running M1 on Big Sur 11.2.3, new Mac mini.

Is there something I’m missing? Anyone else having this issue?

What target are you building? It seems that you’re succeeding in building the .component (AU). If Xcode is only building the AU it makes sense that there’s no VST3. You can see what target you’re building in the Xcode GUI just to the right of the buttons which look like play and stop buttons in the top left.

Also, depending on the settings in Projucer, it might not copy the plugins automatically to your /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST3 folder.

If you’re building in Debug, it won’t generate a Release build, so it won’t make a release folder.

1 Like

Yeah, sometimes after exporting from Projucer, the target selected isn’t “All”, but one of the specific formats (such as VST3 orAU or AAX). Change to “All” and that might fix it.

2 Likes

Ahh, thank you both, yes it seems I needed to change target to “All”, now I see the vst3 showing up.

Appreciate the help!

2 Likes

Hi, I think I’m having the same issue as OP, but I think the xcode GUI has changed since you made this comment. Are you referring to “target membership”? These checkboxes are greyed out for me, I can’t interact with them.

Can you share a screenshot of how to select “all” for these targets?

Thanks!