Building VST/AU/AAX in the same project

Hi,

I’m trying to port over my plugin code from JUCE 2 to JUCE 5.
My VS solution is set up such that my code is in a single project which builds a single DLL (with all three formats), followed by a post-build event that creates the AAX packages and copies is to a file with the aaxplugin extension.
The build fails (only when requesting AAX) with a “DllMain already defined” error.

As a test of sorts, I took a stab at modifying the Audio Plugin Demo (from the provided examples) to build AAX (which it doesn’t do by default), and noticed that the Projucer adds a separate project to the solution which is meant solely for building the AAX plugin, while the JuceDemoPlugin_VST project builds the VST/AU formats.

Am I to conclude that JUCE now makes it a requirement to set up a separate project to build the AAX format plugin, or is there a way to build all three formats out of a single VS project?

Cheers!
/Fadi

Hi @FadiBitar,

JUCE now adds a separate VS project for each plug-in type. So if you are building VST/VST3/AAX then there will be three plug-in projects in your solution (for the VST/VST3/AAX specific plug-in code) and a “SharedCode” project which is all the code that is not plug-in specific.

This kind of setup is needed as plug-in formats are not necessarily simple dlls anymore. For example, AUv3 is an app extension which is basically a special type of executable. This also allowed us to add a handy “Standalone” plug-in format, which builds your plug-in as a standalone application.

Yes, you are right. However, the Projucer should do that work for you: it will automatically create a solution containing the necessary projects.

Fabian

Thanks for the help! I’ll get to it then!