Can't build VST3 or AAX on Windows

I'm a bit of a noob, so perhaps this is a stupid question, but is anybody else having trouble building formats other than VST or AU? I've had no troubles building VSTs on my PC (Windows 10) and Audio Units on my Mac, but the compiler (Visual Studio 2015) simply does not build an AAX plugin at all. VST3 is the most confusing of all though. I find that if I choose to build DEBUG Win32, it will create a file with the extension VST3, but this is not an actual VST3 file. It is just a copy of the VST DLL but with the file extension changed so that the file is unusable. I tried building the audio plugin demo that comes with JUCE and it too built an unusable VST3 file in the exact same manner.

I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I installed the AAX SDK and I built the library files.

You should at least provide some errors or warnings you're getting from VS2015.

I've been building VST/VST3/RTAS/AAX/AU with latest JUCE (not daily checking it) and latest VS2015 and Xcode

I find that if I choose to build DEBUG Win32, it will create a file with the extension VST3, but this is not an actual VST3 file. It is just a copy of the VST DLL but with the file extension changed so that the file is unusable.

This is normal: VST and VST3 are the same binary but have different entry points into the dll. Therefore, JUCE just copies the VST dll and changes the file ending to .vst3. 

The most common reason for a plug-in not loading is that the architectures (64-bit vs. 32-bit) of the host and the plug-in do not match. 

You should at least provide some errors or warnings you're getting from VS2015.

I've been building VST/VST3/RTAS/AAX/AU with latest JUCE (not daily checking it) and latest VS2015 and Xcode

But there are no errors or warnings. It simply does not produce the AAX or VST3 binaries.

This is normal: VST and VST3 are the same binary but have different entry points into the dll. Therefore, JUCE just copies the VST dll and changes the file ending to .vst3. 

The most common reason for a plug-in not loading is that the architectures (64-bit vs. 32-bit) of the host and the plug-in do not match. 

But the host, Reaper, is capable of loading both 64bit and 32bit DLLs. Why should that change, simply because the file extension has been changed from a *.DLL to a *.VST3?

Additionally, based on what you say, I should be able to manually change the filenames of the 64bit DLLs that I can currently build from *.DLL to *.VST3 and run them in a 64bit DAW but I have tried this just now in Ableton Live 9 and it failed. 64 bit Ableton will not recognise my 64 bit DLLs when I change the file extension to VST3.

But the host, Reaper, is capable of loading both 64bit and 32bit DLLs. Why should that change, simply because the file extension has been changed from a *.DLL to a *.VST3?

The file ending has nothing to do with 64-bit or 32-bit. The file ending just tells the host if it should use the VST 2.x or VST 3 entry point, i.e. the plug-in will show up as either VST2.x or VST 3 depending on the suffix. You can switch between building a 32-bit and 64-bit plug-in (DLL and VST3) in Visual Studio. The 32-bit and 64-bit plug-in files are completely different files.

64 bit Ableton will not recognise my 64 bit DLLs when I change the file extension to VST3.

Ableton Live does not support VST3. You need to leave the suffix as .dll and make sure that VST is checked in the Introjucer.

Ok. But my primary concern is with AAX. Nothing at all is being output of that format, even for the demo project.

Have you checked your Post-Build script and seen where your output files are being placed?

Rail

Have you checked your Post-Build script and seen where your output files are being placed?

Rail

Yes, it was already set up to compile my output files to the DEBUG / RELEASE folders respectively, and then I set it up to copy the plugin into my VST plugin folder.

copy /Y "$(OutDir)\$(TargetFileName)" "C:\VST\$(TargetFileName)"

I tried doing a search of my PC for AAX files and the only results were the factory Pro Tools plugins and others I have bought over the years.

T

Another noob here. Was there any resolution to this? I ask because I have the same problem. My project just doesn’t produce any AAX plug-in AFAICT. Where is it even supposed to be placed? I’ve searched my machine and can’t find anything.

…a lot has happened since then, see e.g.

So check, if these changes help you, otherwise I reccomend to start a new thread where you state your problem with more additional data, like do you have the AAX and compiled it? where exactly start the problems, do you have the outdated post build script to copy the target (which works now differently), do you use the git latest tip /master or develop and so on…