Can anybody help to solve my issues with Audiobus integration for the IOS?

I am trying to integrate the Audiobus to my AUv3 plugin. There are some calls that i need to add my code but looks like their docs are prepared to guide the native language programmers. I am having problems to integrate it. For example there is a -(void)applicationDidEnterBackground:(NSNotification *)notification method that i need to put a line of code to manage plugin activities when it is in the background. But where should i put this code ? Is there a detailed tutorial about this ?

How did you integrate Audiobus to your AUv3 ?

Thanks in advance

From what I see, -applicationDidEnterBackground: calls suspended() on your JUCEApplication instance, so you may want to override that method.

But really, I would question the need to implement Audiobus support in a new app these days. To me it’s a rudiment from the days when iOS couldn’t do audio interconnections first, then, with IAA, couldn’t do state saving. Both of those issues are solved with AUv3. The Audiobus app itself can load AUv3 plugins, so what’s the need for this?

1 Like

Thanks for your answer.
Actually, I am not that familiar with the IOS world but all I am trying to do is to give users another option to use my standalone plugın. I tested it in the garage band, it looks ok but as far as ı know, to use standalone applications as if they are in a DAW, solutions like AUM and Audiobus are needed. Is there a way to use audiobus or other similar software without dealing with these integration steps?

Sure, AUv3 is the way to go. AUM, Audiobus and other hosts can load AUv3 plugins.

Historically, Audiobus was the first on iOS to facilitate sending audio between apps using their own SDK. Then came Apple’s own Inter-App Audio, which by the way Audiobus SDK started to use internally. AUv3 came several years later, and it’s the closest thing to how it should’ve been done in the first place.

Inter-App Audio has been deprecated in favor of AUv3 since iOS 13, IIRC, and for a good reason as the former doesn’t support:

• Multiple instances
  • External control over parameters without resorting to Core MIDI
  • State saving (that’s the only thing from this list that Audiobus’ own format works around)

Now of course you can still support those older interfaces, but that’s more stuff to maintain and their share is shrinking. Apple may pull IAA from any new major release and I’m not sure Audiobus will want to continue with their own SDK at that point.

1 Like

Thank you very much for this detailed info. Looks like it is better to use it as it is.