How To Monitor MIDI signals in Visual Studio 2022

Hello, I’m just getting started with JUCE, and have completed the first two tutorials. I’ve searched the forums and the wider web for answers to this but have not come across anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have a question regarding the last sentence of tutorial 2: "Run the plug-in in the host environment and you will see that all MIDI note on signals are coming through our plug-in have the value set with our slider. "

I have successfully started the plug-in in Visual Studio 2022 in a debugging environment, but as I’m unfamiliar with VS2022, I don’t know how to monitor the MIDI signals.

This is what my environment looks like when I’m running the plug-in within the host environment:

Where should I look, or what pane should I open to monitor MIDI noteOn signals and their respective volume (hopefully set by my slider position)?

1 Like

If I recall that tutorial, you launch the plugin and it posts messages in its plugin window showing the incoming MIDI data with the modified value. That is what they meant by “monitor”. So you launch the AudioPluginHost, launch your plugin window, route MIDI to it, and play some notes, and it prints messages.

Thank you for your reply! Sorry if I seem slow, but I’m very new to this.

I’m not sure what you mean when you say “it posts messages in its plugin window.”

This is what my plug-in window looks like, along with the host:

Whenever I play a MIDI note, nothing happens (no message is posted). I thought that somewhere in Visual Studio, it would show that the velocity is set to the number given by the slider.

Sorry, I was referring to these first two MIDI tutorials that I remember. They both print out messages:

https://docs.juce.com/master/tutorial_midi_message.html
https://docs.juce.com/master/tutorial_handling_midi_events.html

The tutorial you are referring to, I see it now. I would assume from reading it that they expect you to place a debug point in there, and then watch as a midi message hits the debugger. Or perhaps they expect you to monitor it externally. You could hook up the ‘MIDI Logger (internal)’ plugin (provided in AudioPluginHost) to the output of the plug to view the messages. That sentence is unclear.

The MIDI Logger is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you so much!

I had tried placing a debug point at a few different places within the for loop that swaps the velocity values, but had trouble opening up my plug-in within the host once the breakpoints were set. I think this is just due to my inexperience with debugging c++ though, so I’ll keep working on that.

Thanks again for the help!