Juce 5 Licensing questions

The GPL license says differently, @bill-auger. Check out the FAQ and the many restrictions around distributing source and binary code.

https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.en.html#AnonFTPAndSendSources

Does the GPL allow me to charge a fee for downloading the program from my distribution site?
Yes. You can charge any fee you wish for distributing a copy of the program. If you distribute binaries by download, you must provide “equivalent access” to download the source—therefore, the fee to download source may not be greater than the fee to download the binary.

@jb1

that link you posted is not the GPL - that is only a FAQs page (the TLDR version) - the copyleft.org guide explains the GPLs much better https://copyleft.org/guide/ for those interested - all that FAQs section is saying is that the source code should not be more difficult to obtain than the binary - ie. you must be prepared to deliver the source code over that same medium that carried the binaries

this is not a restriction, it is common courtesy - one can not say "you can get this binary from f-droid but source code will only be provided on 5 inch floppy disk by snail mail because that would be placing an inappropriate restriction on the recipient - although offering the source code on floppies by snail mail would be appropriate if the binaries were available ONLY on floppies by snail mail

the GPL does not say that the source code must accompany the binaries but that is surely the simplest way to satisfy the license - in fact the very next FAQ on that page confirms this:

"Q: How can I make sure each user who downloads the binaries also gets the source?"
"A: You don't have to make sure of this."

i dont like to nitpick about such a small detail but there is a lot of mis-information about the GPL - one should never use the word “restriction” when referring to the GPL - the core principle of the GPL is that NO restrictions are acceptable - the only thing that the GPL restricts is the removal of the license itself and the freedoms that it provides