Juce version 6, 7, ... schedule

Hi Juce team !

What is the schedule for Juce new version release ?
Each year, each two year, whenever you see fit … ?

Thanks !

Just over a year seems to be a good cadence.

We’ll release new versions every 14 to 18 months

So monthly payment is encouraged if you want to be up to date. Gotcha

1 Like

Yes, the monthly license will probably be a better choice for customers who know that they will upgrade to JUCE 6.

Since the Indie License Subscription is only $35/mo and doesn’t have that dumb splash screen, Why would we ever shell out $700 for a perpetual license if you guys are going to keep pushing out new versions every 14-18 months? 14 months * 35 is only $490. that’s $210 less than a perpetual Indie license. It says you guys require a 12-month commitment for the Pro and Indie license.

those figures for one year work out to:
$420 for the Indie license
$780 for the Pro License

In order for the perpetual license to be a better value over the subscription for either plan, you’ll need to be a Pro or Indie subscriber for 21 months or more. Any less than that and the subscription is the better deal, especially if you guys are releasing new versions in less than 20 months.

1 Like

I mean, devs being able to do this basic math is a given, the point is to give options. A perpetual license will allow you to distribute a product you built using JUCE 5 for the rest of eternity so you don’t have to keep up with monthly payments. That’s where the extra value comes from.

1 Like

Exactly.

Teach me master how to overcome the 20 characters imposition :laughing:

2 Likes

haha i changed it this morning. should work for you too

This thread is over 2 years… Do we have any rumors about V6?

Especially what would be in it? :wink:

I guess following many companies there won’t be JUCE 6. they’ll be influenced from Steinberg, Avid and Microsoft.

SOUL JUCE 2020 Developer Edition [en-GB]

:slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

1 Like

I second the question, because JUCE 5 came out 31 months ago. My license is still at JUCE 4 because I didn’t need the new features until now. Is there maybe an updated perspective available for the next version so I can decide when to update? Or can we expect a grace update period to be sure that a new license covers the latest version for at least 6 months? Or some kind of a reduced end-of-lifecycle upgrade offer? … many options that could encourage me to update soon …

Anyways, keep up the great work!

Best,
Sebastian

1 Like

Wondering about the same thing in April 2020. If Juce was on a 14-18 month release cycle then the decision would be easier, but as it stands anyone who has been paying month-to-month since 5.0 would have saved almost $600 if they had opted for a perpetual license at the outset.

A rent-to-own license option would address this imbalance: the option to pay month-to-month, then after 20 months ($700 total spend) switch to a perpetual license for the current version, at no cost.

Rent-to-own would also give an “out” for month-to-month license holders who stop Juce development work but want to continue distributing their closed-source Juce plugins. Currently their only option is to purchase a perpetual license on top of what they already spent on month-to-month licenses.

8 Likes

That’s crazy when spelled out in front of me. I’d definitely like to know the future roadmap for JUCE - who knows it might just be worth buying a perpetual now to save money!?

3 Likes