Launch of JUCE 4 and Summit reported

My questions is that after V4 is released, would it still be possible to purchase a V3 commercial license?

Hi, 

Thanks for clarifying your question. It's unlikely that we will maintain two distinct codebases (one for V3 and one for V4),  so when V4 is out, it won't be possible to purchase V3 licenses. 

Will there still be a GPL option?

And hmm how big are the changes?

(I'm hoping the 3=>4 update doesn't break the API too much).

This is mandatory to my continuing use of JUCE.

GPL is mandatory for me too.

http://www.juce.com/comment/308608#comment-308608

We have no plans in the foreseeable future to change the GPL licensing for the core of JUCE. In fact, we don't at this point have any concrete plans for any changes to the model whatsoever.

It depends what's "foreseeable future" means.

1. If it is less than a year the FUD induced was well-founded ( http://www.juce.com/forum/topic/juce-has-been-acquired-roli ).

2. Much ado for nothing?

A clarification would be fair. The GPL option is mandatory for me also. Do i have to continue the development with JUCE in the next weeks? Disapointment would be lesser sooner than later.

Not sure where this FUD came from, guys! Although we've not yet made a final decision on our new licensing model, nobody here is suggesting getting rid of the GPL, and it would be difficult to make a business case to do so. We actively want people using JUCE for open-source projects!

And re: how big are the V4 changes: most of our new features will be additional modules and classes, with very few changes to existing classes, So any impact on your existing codebases should be minimal.

People probably have experimented such disapointment in other circumstances and still are traumatized :wink: Thanks for that quick explanation.

Thanks for the clarification,  Jules.

most of our new features will be additional modules and classes

Looking forward to see what's new and exciting! :)

I see in 3.2.0 you changed the copyright to ROLI, does this mean that existing licenses under clause 7.1 are no longer in effect?

Rail

Hi Rail,

The fact that JUCE 3.2.0 is now copyrighted to ROLI doesn't change the rights of registered customers, existing licenses are still in full effect.

Hi Guys,

is there something like a grace period (or discounted upgrade path) for people who buy JUCE 3 before JUCE 4 comes out? 

I have a product in the pipeline that may be ready for shipping in about 2 months and I don't want to wait until JUCE 4.

Best,

Christoph

Hi Christoph,

We are planning to offer a discounted upgrade to JUCE 4 for customers registered with JUCE 3. 

Good luck with the launch!

Great news...
So, "...something awesome.." is trying to be born.  
Sorry about my guess, but I would like it to be, the integration of GUI in a transparent way to the programmer, such as in an IDE.

Anyway you have all my best wishes on whatever it is.

I am very sure it will be "..something awesome."

George 

any update on this? I have some products to be published in the next couple of months and honestly I would like to avoid buying the license (almost) twice. Thanks!

hi there,

We're hoping to launch in the Autumn 2015, apologies if we can't be more specific at this point. 

Best,

JB