MIDI 2.0 Device Support

When will I be able to plug-in a Roland A-88MKII into a Mac and be able to read 16-bit velocity messages through Juce?

I saw the MIDI-CI support recently landed in JUCE which is great news. When will we be getting full UMP 2.0 message and device support?

This video provides a nice overview of where things stand with MIDI 2.0 as of 11/17/23. To summarize, there are a few 2.0 devices already available on the market and there is OS level support for these 2.0 devices on all OSes except for Windows.

Are you going to wait until Windows support is finished before releasing something? I’m sure it will release eventually but it just keeps on getting delayed and delayed. Isn’t device support on macOS, iOS, Android and Linux enough for now?

1 Like

We’re going to wait for Windows before we add device support to JUCE. Delivering something now that we then might have to reconfigure to conform to how things work in Windows would be double the work for the JUCE team, and disruptive to everyone already using the new functionality.

3 Likes

Windows MIDI 2.0 Developer Preview 2 was released today:

Also this was said in the discord before it’s release:

The core session and endpoint send/receive code has been stable for a bit. The device watcher code for enumeration was recently added, but is functioning well. Areas that are still iterating

• MIDI CI Profiles and Property Exchange support
  • App-to-App MIDI MIDI CI/UMP Virtual Device
  • Mechanism for getting certain config changes up to the service at runtime (a json parameter) without restarting service
  • Bunch of stuff inside the service itself which do not impact the shape of the client API

So not necessarily complete, but very close to it. The only reason something else may change is based on testing/feedback from customers or if our next API review insists something has to change. The final API review hasn’t yet happened here, so still an opportunity to make critical surface area changes if, for example, a key feature just doesn’t work properly from a supported language. The USB driver looks like it still needs more work and testing before we share it out, so I’ll create another interim API build for folks here soon and publish the release notes with it.

3 Likes