Status of Midi 2.0 and Juce

Hi all,

I can’t find any recent information on the forums or google related to the status of Midi 2.0 in Juce or in VST, AAX and AU plugins in general.

It is my understanding that the specification has been released and that products are out that are using the format, though I don’t believe that I have seen or used any yet.

I’ve found posts made by the Juce team introducing Midi 2.0 from over a year ago, but nothing on the site or in the forums (I could be mistaken) discusses their implementation.

I’m asking as I am working on a Midi Filter that will need to support the format in the near future.

Thanks

2 Likes

We have MIDI 2.0 API functions ready to go, but we are waiting for more platforms to provide support. It would be really useful to know if there will be dramatic differences between the OS MIDI 2.0 APIs before we make our wrapper around them public.

4 Likes

How about also implementing multi MIDI port support for VST3?

Maybe each MidiMessage could have an ID (or index) that would identify the source/target MIDI port?

• Jussi

Will Juce 7 include Midi 2.0 support?

2 Likes

Will we get notified when the support arrives?

( if it arrives after 7.0 is released )

particularly important if one is. - say - writing a DAW or even plugin that hosts a plugin that uses - NEEDS - multiple midi ports like the Vienna Ensemble Pro client plugin

MIDI 2.0 will not be included as part of the initial JUCE 7 release. However, it’s likely to be included in a later update to JUCE 7.

We’re yet to investigate the Android implementation thoroughly, so I can’t provide a concrete timeline for when we’ll expose the API to the public.

2 Likes

Out of interest a brief google for Microsoft Windows 11 and MIDI 2.0 didn’t seem to turn up anything - whereas Apple clearly are out of the gate already.

What’s the situation on MIDI 2.0 and windows?

It’s being worked on, but we don’t know anything more than that I’m afraid.

1 Like

So Android has an implementation out - but Microsofts MIDI 2.0 implementation isn’t even in early closed nda beta or alpha form yet?

( I’m assuming by “worked on” you mean by the Windows MIDI API devs at MS not yourselves ? )

hmm -

So - as I’m sure lots of us already know - the AMEI has just recently announced they will be funding a project to develop and release an open source MIDI 2.0 USB driver. So how does this change what’s available or upcoming soon in next 7.0 release? will this be a dot release or awaiting an 8.0 ?
Here’s the full blurb on SONICSTATE:
"The Association of Musical Electronics Industries (AMEI), the organization that oversees the MIDI specification in Japan, has committed to funding the development of an open-source USB MIDI 2.0 Host Driver for Windows Operating Systems under a memorandum of understanding between AMEI, AmeNote Inc, and Microsoft.
AMEI is underwriting the cost and has engaged AmeNote Inc. to develop the driver because of AmeNote’s extensive experience in MIDI 2.0 and USB development. In addition, concurrent to this, Microsoft has also agreed to start development of a Windows standard open-source MIDI 2.0 API. The driver and API will be developed in accordance with Microsoft’s quality control standards, and will be managed as a permissively licensed (MIT license) Microsoft open-source project. As a result, anyone can participate in the development as an open-source contributor in the future, or use the code in their own devices or operating systems. Because of this open source arrangement, continuous and timely improvements and enhancements to the USB MIDI 2.0 Host driver and MIDI 2.0 API are expected. Development is currently underway with the goal of completing the development in 2023.

MIDI 2.0 is a global industry-wide effort. The MIDI Association (TMA), is the organization that oversees the MIDI specification in all other areas of the world besides Japan. TMA recently funded AmeNote’s development of the ProtoZOA, a USB MIDI 2.0 prototyping board that software developers can use to test with their MIDI 2.0 applications.

AmeNote’s plans to release large parts of the ProtoZOA firmware as open-source code. So, all hardware developers can utilize that code and incorporate it in their own MIDI 2.0 devices."

4 Likes