Minimum spec mac

Probably a dumb question… I do not know a lot about macs. What is the minimum spec for building plugins on a Mac? I have an 10.5.4 ppc mac with xcode 3.1.3. Is is possible to build plugins? Or is it best to dump this mac and get me a newer intel minimac?

Kind regards,

Harrie Munnik

I see I can build the JuceDemo, but can not build the Introjucer. I get the next error building the Introjucer:

Command /Developer/usr/bin/gcc-4.0 failed with exit code 1

Am I doing something wrong? Or is simply my Mac to old?

Harrie

It might be that your version of gcc is too old. Under Project->Edit Active Target->Build Tab->“C/C++ Compiler Version” is “GCC 4.2” available? Try that. If not I would try downloading the latest version of Xcode (3.2.6 i think) if it works under PPC.

Are there any other errors or just that one line?

It is only that line. And it worked! Thanks.

Harrie Munnik

Xcode 3.1.3 is the latest version working on a ppc afaik. I could eliminante a lot of problems building my own plugin in mac format, but was still a bit stuck. So I just got me a 2009 minimac and am now installing 3.2.5. That is the most common used Xcode version? Or are a lot of devs going toward Xcode 4??

Harrie

Well at the moment it’s really personal preference. I still use 3 because 4 is a bit of a memory hog and is quite CPU intensive. Plus with only a small screen the “unified” interface gets a bit annoying as it’s all too small. I think if you wish to target Lion in about a months time you will have to use 4 but you can use both concurrently so maybe give 4 a spin and see what you think. Hope it all works out for you.